Re: Canon Announces EOS 60D Digital SLR Camera

I am so disappointed.....

Quote Originally Posted by Manofmayo

I am so disappointed.....
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

me too, but as a 7D owner, I'm pretty happy.[]

It looks like the 7D and the 5D2 are still sitting in the sweet spot of the Canon DSLR's.

But, I'm sure there will be more announcements to come before Photokina!

Where's the 1Ds MkIV?

Rich

I'm not disappointed at all, it's pretty much what I expected: a camera with price and features that is halfway between the 7D and 550D. I'm really excited about the articulating LCD -- I might buy it just for that. I don't mind the loss of a magnesium alloy body or one frame per second compared to the 50D.

Canon 10D: $1,500
    Canon 20D: $1,500
    Canon 30D: $1,400
    Canon 40D: $1,300
    Canon 50D: $1,300
    Canon 60D: $1,100

It was a bigger price drop than I expected. I hope that this means the Canon 600D price will fall too:

<meta content="text/html; charset=utf-8" http-equiv="content-type" />
    <div id="post_message_9615812"]Canon 300D: $1,000
    Canon 350D: $900
    Canon 400D: $800
    Canon 450D: $800
    Canon 500D: $800
    Canon 550D: $800</div>
    <div>Canon 600D: ?</div>

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning
    I'm really excited about the articulating LCD -- I might buy it just for that. I don't mind the loss of a magnesium alloy body or one frame per second compared to the 50D.

I'm less keen on these changes, I think the 7D will be the upgrade of choice from my 40D.

I would have much preferred to pick up a 7D as an upgrade to the XTi, however I am quite happy I picked up the 50D in May.

Given the wish lists I have seen on the internet for the 60D, it seems that Canon chose not to listen to its biggest fans.

Very disappointed...

Canon has not introduced any new real features. Only stupid "toys" like filters and all kind of pretty much useless in-camera abilities.
    • No improved weather sealing.

• No improved AF system as much as it sounds to me.

• Nothing special on the ISO side I believe.

And if that's not enough, they actually downgrade from the 50D:
    • Less frames per second.

• No magnesium alloy body for a semi-pro DSLR?

• Vari-angle screen? A vari-angle screen could be very useful for me in many situations, but it also sounds to me like a weak point:

• it could be broken very easily.

• As much as I know, those screens are connected with flat cables to the main electronic circuit and those cables tend to break after a while. When that happens, Canon will charge you 20%-40% price of a new 60D to replace it with a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by Manofmayo

Given the wish lists I have seen on the internet for the 60D, it seems that Canon chose not to listen to its biggest fans.

I think you meant to say "loudest" fans.

It's a camera, it takes pictures, it has autofocus and an exposure meter. Need more than that?
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Quote Originally Posted by Oren

Very disappointed...

Canon has not introduced any new real features. Only stupid "toys" like filters and all kind of pretty much useless in-camera abilities.
    • No improved weather sealing.

• No improved AF system as much as it sounds to me.

• Nothing special on the ISO side I believe.

And if that's not enough, they actually downgrade from the 50D:
    • Less frames per second.

• No magnesium alloy body for a semi-pro DSLR?

• Vari-angle screen? A vari-angle screen could be very useful for me in many situations, but it also sounds to me like a weak point:

• it could be broken very easily.

• As much as I know, those screens are connected with flat cables to the main electronic circuit and those cables tend to break after a while. When that happens, Canon will charge you 20%-40% price of a new 60D to replace it with a new one.

Why would you anticipate/expect weather sealing? It's hard to do, probably costs more after the sale in warranty work, and they already have cameras with it.

Why would you anticipate/expect autofocus improvements? By the way, it did improve - cross-type (at f/5.6!) sensors at all positions sounds new to me.

Why would you anticipate/expect more on the ISO side? Camera companies are all getting bashed by how stupidly far they've tried to stretch the ISO spectrum, and many folks have said the 50D was not an (ISO) upgrade whatsoever from the 40D. Better to make real improvements and stop going for a marketing number.

Megapixel * frames/sec directly drives the computing power needed to keep up. I suspect the image processing is more intense, so they had to slow it down. Do the fps REALLY matter?

Why would you expect a magnesium alloy body in an "advanced amateur" body?

I think you need to go buy enough 1D Mark IVs to make you happy. Unfortunately, you're never going to get a 1-series camera in a 60-series price point.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.