Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 35mm f/1.4L vs. 70-200mm f/4L IS

Re: 35mm f/1.4L vs. 70-200mm f/4L IS

If you need a particular lens, you should already know it.

Do you have the 17-55mm IS? Its the first lens a crop camera owner should buy if you use normal focal lengths.

The 35mm l is not a beginner lens, at f/1.4 it frequently needs microfocus adjuse, which is not available on your 40D. I'd go for the 35mm f/2. you would probably be happier.

The 70-200mm f/4L IS will work well and be very sharp on both cameras, do you use that focal length range?

Getting a lens and then looking for something to use it on is not a good plan, even a poorer plan if its a expensive lens.

Appreciate the comments, scale, but there's no talk of need here. [] The operative word is FUN! I understand all the potential complexities inherent of such a thin DOF at f/1.4. I've had fairly good practice with my 50mm f/1.4.

The 135 f/2L and 17-55mm f/2.8 are on my list as well, but a bit farther down.

I don't know how much I am in the minority here, but I have a 35 f2 and sure it doesn't have the quality of the 35 f1.4 but it does pretty well. However, I find that I have the 70-200 on my camera 90% of the time. Almost all of the photos I take on here are with that lens. If I am going to do stuff inside, I just use the 50 1.4. It works for kids since the are smaller anyway. That would be my suggestion is go for the 70-200. I have heard nothing but great things with the 35, but by far the zoom is it for me. That's my two cents.

Good points, Jayson. Were those zoo shots with the 70-200 f/4L?

That's what makes this difficult (though I've already made a decision). The 70-200 definitely is versatile outdoors and I'm sure in certain indoor situations. The 50mm f/1.4 does a great job, but have found it several times this weekend to be a tad long. I think the 35mm in those situations would have done perfectly.

One thing I still have not heard mentioned - any IQ issues when the 35L is paired with higher pixel density sensors such as that found in 7D's, for example? Any softness at all?

In my opinion the best portrait lens for children is the 70-200 f2.8. If budget is a part of the choise I rather have the f2.8 without IS vs the f4 with IS. Your baby will grow very fast, and you will want to capture him while walking, running in the park, biking... To free action the IS does not help, and in few months he will move very fast!!!

You need the fastest aperture possible, but you also need the zoom flexibility to recompose quicly, any optical advantage of a prime like the 135 f2 will be lost if you need to crop!!

Untill you shoot indoor the 50mm f1.4 is a great choice, remember that sharpness is often not a prime caratteristic for potraits, and that some Lens manufatcureres reduced voluntarely the sharpness of their best portrait lenses at wide open value

Got it last night and the first impression is FRONT HEAVY. There's quite the mass in this lens. Anyway, I've just tested with window lighting into the living room at 1.4 to gauge the sharpness handheld...

35mm f/1.4L @ 1.4, 1/80s, ISO 160

35mm f/1.4L @ 1.4, 1/80s, ISO 125

Quote Originally Posted by deltasun

Got it last night and the first impression is FRONT HEAVY. There's quite the mass in this lens. Anyway, I've just tested with window lighting into the living room at 1.4 to gauge the sharpness handheld...

Congrats! By the looks of these shots, you should be very please! It is a tad front heavy but it doesn't take long to get used to it. I had to do some microadjusting to mine and it was the hardest to do of all my lenses for some reason. I still don't know if I'm really dead on but yours looks really good!

Enjoy!

Denise

Thanks, Denise...still playing with it, but haven't had a chance to also try outdoors to get that nice bokeh. I haven't calibrated yet, but will probably not do that till I get Lens Align at some point. I tried to calibrate my 50mm f/1.4 on a ruler on a table, but in the end I was so frustrated that I set it back to 0. I want to test the 35mm further to see if hitting the sweet spot is consistent.

And you're right, I'm already starting to forget about the front weight. []

My 2 cents: If you're doing portraiture, the hands-down best-ever-anywhere-anywhen portrait lens is the 85mm F1.2. Throw away your (ugh) flash. Pick up this lense and you'll be sucked into portrait imagery, razor sharp with a great bokeh.

Quote Originally Posted by sdean7855

My 2 cents: If you're doing portraiture, the hands-down best-ever-anywhere-anywhen portrait lens is the 85mm F1.2. Throw away your (ugh) flash. Pick up this lense and you'll be sucked into portrait imagery, razor sharp with a great bokeh.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Or, buy the 85mm f/1.8 and use the extra money to buy flash equipment and modifiers. Then spend some time getting to know how to use it all with great effect. Just my 2 cents. ;-)