Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Next Portrait Lens: 85L or 70-200 2.8 IS II?

Re: Next Portrait Lens: 85L or 70-200 2.8 IS II?

Quote Originally Posted by Keith B

If it helps ease you desire any, when I used the 85L on a crop, It wasn't that mind blowing. I think it just had to do with being farther away and the images seemed to flatten out a little.

Whew ...that does ease the pain alittle! I have a few lenses possibly hitting the auction block soon myself! I'm kickin' around a few ideas ...hmm, maybe a used FF! [:P]

Denise

Quote Originally Posted by Keith B

A little warning though, once you shoot with the 85L you may not want to use zooms ever again. My 24-70 use to be my most used lens but after shooting with the 35L and 85L I had a hard time pulling it out of the bag. I added the 50L and will probably sell the 24-70 and the 35L. The only zoom lens I've used lately is the 16-35.

Don't say stuff like that! It only make it worse!

I've contemplated going only primes before. After looking at my exif data from this shoot (and most other shoots), I'm still considering it. 299 of my 650 shots were at 70mm (most of which I wished were a bit longer, say around 85mm []), and 120 were at 24mm (been eyeing the 24 1.4L also). Too bad primes are so darn expensive...okay, L's in general.

Why must I have lens lust?

Right tool for the right job, 85 is a great port lens on a FF, to tight on crop. One isnt really better than the other unless you know what your outputting it. 4x6, facebook? the only thing you'll have vs the other is the zoom which might be better for like sports, air planes, skate boarders if you decide to expande your shooing choices. If not, the 85 is great for portraits on full frame.

Quote Originally Posted by realityinabox

I've contemplated going only primes before. After looking at my exif data from this shoot (and most other shoots), I'm still considering it. 299 of my 650 shots were at 70mm (most of which I wished were a bit longer, say around 85mm [img]/emoticons/emotion-5.gif[/img]), and 120 were at 24mm (been eyeing the 24 1.4L also). Too bad primes are so darn expensive...okay, L's in general.

Why must I have lens lust?

That is where I was. I shot about 50% at 70 and every time I wished I had longer so that is what made me commit to the 85L. Then I'd say 15% were 24-35 and 35% 50-ish. With all the bad press on just about every 50mm available I decided to get the 35L. I realized as great as the 35 is, 50 is more my gig. On wide environmental portraits I was still invading peoples comfort zone. So I got the 50L and my experience has been of those who rave about this lens. I love the 35 but I don't make money with it so I think I have to let it go. It will be a sad day. I like the idea of having a 24 1.4 (use to own the mkI) but for the wide to ultra-wide I like to have the versatility of a zoom.

Keith, would it be possible to see some of your work? I've seen a shot or two of yours from the 85L in the past, but the photos uploaded to your profile don't seem to be working for me. Do you have a website or a flickr?

That is a good point on the zoom for wide. I'll have to consider a 16-35 or the 17-40. I don't shoot much between 35 and 70 anyway, so maybe the 85L and a nice ultra-wide zoom would do the trick for me.

I usually pull my photos down, especially if they are clients. I don't feel right posting them most of the time. I don't want to upset anyone.

My website is betterleyphoto.com

Don't be too critical of the site design. I know it is bad and it is currently under redesign. The current one doesn't really do much for the images. I haven't uploaded new images in a while. I think the only 85L shot up there is the guy with the mohawk.

As far as wides go I like the 16-35. It is a little soft around 24mm though but really good at 16. If I was shopping for one now I'd go with the 17-40 just because of price and I rarely need 2.8 when I shoot in this range.

I would really like to see Canon do a 12-24.