I'm glad you got it going, Roland.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning
    The vile columns across the top

Hm... is this a regular typo orFreudianslip? []

Re: How to bring pictures taken with two cameras in chronological order

The vile columns across the top

Hm... is this a regular typo orFreudianslip? [img]/emoticons/emotion-2.gif[/img]
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Ha! I never once thought that you made a typo for the "file". I guess I am biased :-)

Hello Daniel,

one more question: Do the pictures remain in the selected chronological order after you have closed the file, or when you burn a CD with the pictures. After I succeeded in bringing the pictures into the desired order, I didn&acute;t test what is my question.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Scheiner
    Do the pictures remain in the selected chronological order after you have closed the file, or when you burn a CD with the pictures. After I succeeded in bringing the pictures into the desired order, I didn&acute;t test what is my question

Well, that depends on how the software reading the files works. Normally, software will sort them alphanumerically. On my Windows box, they do remain in order, so that (2) is before (10). But there may be other programs that sort them differently, so that "2" comes after "10" (because "1" is less than "2"). Windows could prevent this problem by using "(02)" instead of "(2)", but they don't.. I didn't think of this potential problem before -- hope my advice doesn't cause you anytrouble down the line.

I use breeze browser to sort through thousands of photos with different cameras. It uses the time stamp in the exif data. First calibrate the clocks on the cameras so they are the same time, shoot your photos. Add photos to a common folder, click veiw, sort by timestamp.

I'm sure there are lots of possible solutions. I use Lightroom to do this as well as setup my own "custom" order for the images... the chronological order is not usually the best story-telling order. I'm sure there's some good software that will give you plenty of options for renaming them just as you like. One possible solution, for Windows 7, is to use Windows Explorer. For example:

• Start-&gt;My Documents-&gt;My Pictures
    • View-&gt;Details
    • The vile columns across the top are usually "Name", "Date modified", "Type", "Size", etc.
    • Right click on one of these and select "Date Created".
    • Click on the new "Date Created" column to sort the images.
    • Select all images (ctrl-A or mouse)
    • Right click on one of the selected images and choose "rename"
    • After you enter a name, windows will add "(1)", "(2)" to all the images in the folder in the sorted sequence.

<div style="clear: both;"]</div>

I began to work on the wedding I did last weekend,over 900 pic.s, and found this works good for the jpg's but not the raw. It seems vista does not recognize the date taken on a raw file. It only has the date created which it sees as the date and time I copied from my card. Since I only shoot raw for the few misses, this should not be too bad to handle but too bad vista misses this.

Mark
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by clemmb
    It seems vista does not recognize the date taken on a raw file

Go to Canon USA's site. Find your camera. Click drivers and software. Choose your OS. Download Canon RAW codec. Now explorer will know everything about your RAW files. The windows picture viewer will open them too. It pretty much eliminates the need for RAW+JPG.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEccleston

Quote Originally Posted by clemmb
    It seems vista does not recognize the date taken on a raw file

Go to [url="http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support]Canon USA's site[/url]. Find your camera. Click drivers and software. Choose your OS. Download Canon RAW codec. Now explorer will know everything about your RAW files. The windows picture viewer will open them too. It pretty much eliminates the need for RAW+JPG.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

This worked. Thanks David.

I still shoot RAW+JPG. I only see the need to use the raw for those few times I miss the exposure but when I do, this really helps.

Mark

Mark