Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Needs travel advice to Beijing on gears to bring

Needs travel advice to Beijing on gears to bring

Hi guys. This would be my first travel to Beijing. Please advice me on what to bring on my list: Canon XSi gripped, Tamron 17-50, Tamron 90mm macro, Tokina 11-16 UWA, Tokina 50-135, Canon 50mm 1.8 and Canon 85mm 1.8, batteries, cables, and charger on a Lowepro Flipside 400AW. A regular tripod attached also to my bag. Ohhh its a bit heavy guys.. not included will be water bottles ion each side. Any thoughts guys would be appreciated. Thank you

Re: Needs travel advice to Beijing on gears to bring

Quote Originally Posted by raptor117
    Please advice me on what to bring on my list

All of it! [] Think of it as a weight lifting program.If you need to drop some things for space and weight, that would be tough. I guess I'd axe the macro first, then the tele zoom, then the primes, then the WA zoom.

hahaha ) daniel, yup it's more of a weight lifting program. I don't want to regret not bringing one when I'll be there. Still not done with my decision thanks for the reply

Depending on how much you want to drop, I'd drop to a min of 11-16, 50-135 & 50mm 1.8...

You can also loose the grip

I don't want to regret not bringing one when I'll be there.

I suspect you could live without the macro lens - that's the first one I'd leave behind. Have to disagree with<span>nickds7 on the 11-16mm - there's a lot of architecture and also a lot of tight spaces in Beijing (at least based on my research - I'm traveling there next year), so I'd think a UWA would be very useful.

Skipping the grip is a reasonable weight-saving option, just take the extra battery.

I'd bring the 85mm f/1.8 and not the 50mm f/1.8, but that's not going to save a lot of weight or space.

Have a great trip!

My Apologies, I can't get rid of the large bold lettering.

Hi Raptor:
    <p class="CommonTitle"]All of the things that were mentioned in your first thread "Any thoughts from you? I'm going to China", and don't forget a converter

http://community.the-digital-picture.com/forums/p/4447/37954.aspx#37954

from 220v to 110v.

Personally, when I travel I bring all of my equipment, macro, 100-400 white lens, converter, everything. Including my bag Lowpro Pro Trekker AW 2 all of my equipment weighs 42lbs. I remove the exterior holders and take it as carry on luggage.

It will only happen once but when it does you will wish that what ever you left behind you had brought. That's me though. The other way is to look at your equipment list and evaluate your shooting style and what you like to shoot them most &amp; take that and the stuff you use the least leave, home.

Have a Wonderful and Safe trip.

God Speed

Wayne

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden" /><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden" />
    <div id="refHTML"]</div>

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden" /><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden" />
    <div id="refHTML"]</div>

<div id="refHTML"]</div>

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"]</input><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden" />
    <div id="refHTML"]</div>

Quote Originally Posted by Iguide
    ...don't forget a converter...from 220v to 110v

The rated input for Canon battery chargers is 100-240 V and 50/60 Hz - every other charger I have works that way, too. That means you do not need a voltage converter. All that's required is a plug adapter so flat two-prong North American plug can connect to the foreign outlet.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist

Quote Originally Posted by Iguide
    ...don't forget a converter...from 220v to 110v

The rated input for Canon battery chargers is 100-240 V and 50/60 Hz - every other charger I have works that way, too. That means you do not need a voltage converter. All that's required is a plug adapter so flat two-prong North American plug can connect to the foreign outlet.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Quite true as far as Canon battery are concerned, however there are many folks that buy after market battery for a fraction of the cost of the Canon ones and they last about 75% of the amount of time as a Canon. What ever you have make sure that you have the appropriate hardware to cover it. One thing that has not been mentioned is the power serge's that can happen and they are a lot more than 220V. Depending on the type of converter some of them can act as a serge protector, some not. Also as I mentioned in your original thread and neuroanatomist (John) mentioned here their outlets are not the same as ours and in some countries they are not standardized so different connectors are sometimes needed to handle the recharging all within the same country.

Godspeed &amp; have a safe and pleasurable trip

Wayne

<div id="refHTML"]</div>

<div id="refHTML"]</div>

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"]</input><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden" />
    <div id="refHTML"]</div>

Good points, Wayne. Can 3rd party batteries not be charged in the Canon charger? Since the Canon charger outputs a constant DC voltage, it's pretty stable (AC to DC conversion is a great way to smooth out power, the UPS units that deliver stable power to some of my instruments do so by converting that power - usually 220V 30A - to DC, then back to AC).

But having a surge suppressor is definitely a great idea - I think the battery would actually be ok, but preserved at the expense of the charger in the event of a surge, meaning no more recharges if it gets fried by a surge - and a very sad traveller!

In my pre-Canon days, I've taken chargers for Li-ion batteries (for cameras, camcorders, and laptops) to some places where the power was very unreliable - Belize, where the whole country would sometimes lose power for hours, remote areas of Guatemala, Tanzania, and Rwanda where power was from generators for a couple of hours a day only, and power was more reliable that potable water...but I never had an issue with the electronics on the trips.

Still, better safe than sorry - so I think I'll be taking a surge suppressor on my next overseas trip, as you suggest - thanks!

--John

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist

I don't want to regret not bringing one when I'll be there.
    Have to disagree with<span>nickds7 on the 11-16mm - there's a lot of architecture

I did say to take along the 11-16mm..