Thread: RAW files from the 60D available

RAW files from the 60D available

Hi guys,

There has been a lot of discussion about the new 60D. Now that ACR 6.2 supports the 60D I downloaded some RAW files from Imaging Resource for a closer look. ( http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/E60D/E60DA7.HTM ) I think that image quality has improved a lot from the 50D. Even at the highest calibrated ISO values files are very detailed, and chroma noise is kept under control. I think this is looking very promising, at least when it comes to image quality.

Re: RAW files from the 60D available

I am not ready to downgrade any time soon from my 50D. I am thus far not that wild about the video capabilities, but it appears to be now standard. If I want to improve image quality in a APS-C sensor camera -- I currently have no complaints -- I will move to the 7D. For me, the biggest strike against the 60D is the removal of AF Microadjust. That is a deal breaker on any body change for me. I was not happy with my 24-70 until I made the adjustment, now I have the "Wow!" that lens is known for. To spend $1100.00 on a new body that makes one of my best lenses look soft is not a option.

For a lot of us the 60D is more of a discussion than an option. For those with Rebels, I think a case can be made for the 50D if the 7D is out of reach. It will be interesting to see what the 50D prices are going forward. It may hold it's value instead of the decrease that usually happens with a new model release. [^o)]

Chris

I do not look at it as a downgrade but I agree that it needs AF Microadjust. I hope Canon will come to their senses and implement this in a firmware update.

The new ACR does a much better job of processing RAW files than older versions, so you get a significant improvement due to processing.

It might be interesting to compare both processed with ACR 6.2.

That said, I would expect improvements in IQ due to the better sensor.

I returned my 7D because I found it wasn't useful as a 2nd camera to my 5D MK II, so I will not be considering a 60d. However, prices and sales are not controlled by forum users.

The vast majority of sales are determined by price, and Canon was hurt by buyers comparing the 50D with the Nikon D90. Canon has obviously decided that they will compete pricewise with the D90.

Sales of this level of camera are largely made at places like Best Buy, Walmart, Costco, and other big box stores where price is the main consideration. Buyers rely on the "Camera Expert" at Best Buy to help them decide. He relies on salesmen to inform him as to features to push.