Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please share your thoughts on this: 1000D to 2nd-hand 50D

Please share your thoughts on this: 1000D to 2nd-hand 50D

Hello everyone. I'm pretty much drooling over this 2nd-hand 50D offer. I'm not sure if it's a good buy.

I'm a hobbyist and I currently have the kit lens and the nifty-fifty only and the 580EX II.

Since this offer was slammed into my face -- a rarely used 2nd-hand 50D for about USD 890.00 including a battery grip and wired shutter-release..

I know the full potential of this body will be harnessed with good glass but I don't have the cash shell out yet but I was thinking of getting this deal by selling my 1000D kit.

Your thoughts will be very much appreciated.

Thank you always for your help and input.

- Angelo
    Cheers!
    --
    AnGelo Chiu (MrGreenBug in Flickr), Blog: http://mrgreenbug.blogspot.com

Re: Please share your thoughts on this: 1000D to 2nd-hand 50D

Looks like a decent deal if the body is in good shape. Not awesome, but decent. When the 60D was announced, Henry's in Canada put their 50Ds on clearance for $799.99 body only. Add in another $100 tax, and you're at a price similar to this used one. I'm not sure what the 50D prices are in the US. Assuming you can find a similar US price for a new camera, you're basically getting a free grip and shutter release cable.

As for whether it's worth it for you, only you can answer. How much can you sell your XS for? You'll need new memory cards, and potentially new spare batteries, factor those into the cost.

Now, is the cost worth it to get a more solid body, faster frame rate, slightly better high-ISO, spot metering, AF microadjust, the extra info LCD panel, the joystick (I have no idea what it's for TBH), and potentially a few more bells and whistles? Up to you.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Thanks David for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEccleston

Looks like a decent deal if the body is in good shape. Not awesome, but decent. When the 60D was announced, Henry's in Canada put their 50Ds on clearance for $799.99 body only. Add in another $100 tax, and you're at a price similar to this used one. I'm not sure what the 50D prices are in the US. Assuming you can find a similar US price for a new camera, you're basically getting a free grip and shutter release cable.

<div>I agree that it's a decent deal. The body's really in a good shape looks really not very much used as the owner has a 5dmkII.</div>

As for whether it's worth it for you, only you can answer. How much can you sell your XS for? You'll need new memory cards, and potentially new spare batteries, factor those into the cost.

Probably I can only sell my XS kit for only half of the 50d body or lower.. I have taken into consideration that the 50d have different set of memory cards and battery and I am looking for other means to fill-in the gap. []

<div>Now, is the cost worth it to get a more solid body, faster frame rate, slightly better high-ISO, spot metering, AF microadjust, the extra info LCD panel, the joystick (I have no idea what it's for TBH), and potentially a few more bells and whistles? Up to you.</div>

I think the higher ISO will be very helpful and the AF microadjust and faster frame rate will be sweet! The only thing I am hesitant about is that as of the moment I'll not be able to maximize it's full potential as I have only the basic glass. [] But I'm thinking, I can't borrow some lens if the need arises.
    Cheers!
    --

Personally, I would go for at least one lens upgrade before getting a body.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning

Personally, I would go for at least one lens upgrade before getting a body.

Honestly I would like to go this way too but it will take me another year to get a lens upgrade unless I'm able to get lucky and hit the jackpot! But if this happens.. there'll be no nice problem.. []
    Cheers!
    --

I'd think about another lens as well, but with the 50d and 50mm, you can do alot with it for just a hobbiest. That's my 90% combo as well, the price isnt to bad if the camera, grip, batteries are in decent shape. But its more important for glass than body. Glass will always do better than a nice body vs crappy glass. Just double check what you output most of the time. You'll be set.

Thanks Steven for your input. I'm now thinking of passing up on the offer. I guess you guys are right on this point:

Quote Originally Posted by Steven23

... Glass will always do better than a nice body vs crappy glass. ...

[]
    Cheers!
    --

Quote Originally Posted by MrGreenBug
    it will take me another year to get a lens upgrade unless I'm able to get lucky and hit the jackpot!

Well, $890USD will buy a lot of lenses. If it were me, I'd get these:

<meta content="text/html; charset=utf-8" http-equiv="content-type" />

• $100 Nikon 55mm f/2.8 Macro from KEH (with $5 e-bay adapter)

• <meta content="text/html; charset=utf-8" http-equiv="content-type" />
      $200 Sigma 18-50 f/2.8-4.5 new from B&amp;H
    • $200 Sigma 70-300 f/4-5.6 APO-M new from B&amp;H
    • $400 Sigma 10-20 used

<div>That would cover a really wide range of subjects and have a much larger effect than upgrading your body. You can always sell them later when you get money for really nice lenses.</div>

Hi Daniel! You've got a point here. Indeed, that's a lot of decent glass you've listed there. Now, I am really passing up on the deal.. I guess this one is the deal breaker here.

Thank you everyone for all your help and input. Certainly, sometimes the "WANT" is just toooo much to handle and clouds the minds and the "NEED" gets overlooked.

Thanks for shedding light into my little dilemma.

You guys are always the best!!!

Anyhow, just want to share a little something from my nifty-fifty and 1000D that I took earlier..

1000D + 50mm f/1.8 @ 50mm, f/2.8, 1/100sec, ISO 400
    Cheers!
    --

That's a great shot! Who says you can't do big-game photography with the 50mm? []