Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WTB: Canon 1D Mk III ! Anyone

Re: WTB: Canon 1D Mk III ! Anyone

Quote Originally Posted by mpphoto12
    Now im faced with a problem because if i upgrade to this camera i will not have any wide angle lens. i will most likely either get a 50 1.4 or a used 28-135 IS just to hold me over. Any thoughts ?

On a 1.3x crop, 50mm just a little on the telephoto side, and 28mm is barely wider than normal. With either of those lenses, you'll still be without a wide angle. The crop issue on the wide end is one of the downsides to the APS-H sensor, IMO.

You might consider hunting for a used EF 20mm f/2.8 lens, or better yet, save for an EF 17-40mm f/4L.

On another note: i compared all the sensors of the 7D 1D MK IIn and 1D MK III. Since i am upgrading from a rebel XT and i want this camera to last me alllll through college i am taking into considerations. I want wayyy better ISO, and much much much better Dynamic range. the colors on the rebel xt were very dull and boring. So is it worth saving a few bucks and getting a 1D MK IIn instead of the MK III so i can buy new glass? or is the dynamic range and overall effect of the 1d MK III worth the extra money?

Ok thank you that makes perfect sense now. Now im faced with a problem because if i upgrade to this camera i will not have any wide angle lens. i will most likely either get a 50 1.4 or a used 28-135 IS just to hold me over. Any thoughts ?
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

For myself, I would prefer the 1DIII over the 7D but I have the lenses for it. If you have EF-S lenses you would probably do better to go with the 7D depending on what you like to shoot. The glass is more important than the body and both of these bodies mentioned are awsome.

Mark

Mark

I have a 70-200 2.8 L and 18-55 3.5-5.6 kit lens which is ef-s. But i was thinking of buying the 1D MK II/III and getting a 50 1.8 and a cheap zoom like the 28-128 IS so hold me over. I really would like the upgrade to the 1D series for the ISO reasons.

I really would like the upgrade to the 1D series for the ISO reasons.

They are both good choices. You can pick up a 1DIIn at KEH for $1,269 and they have a great return policy.

Mark
    Mark

Thanks alot i will certainly look into that. How would the overall color depth and dynamic range of the 1D IIn compare to a rebel XT becasue if i wen that route i could save money and get a 17-40f4L. They are both 8MP and i dont want the dull color of the xt .

Since i am upgrading from a rebel XT and i want this camera to last me alllll through college i am taking into considerations. I want wayyy better ISO, and much much much better Dynamic range. the colors on the rebel xt were very dull and boring. So is it worth saving a few bucks and getting a 1D MK IIn instead of the MK III so i can buy new glass? or is the dynamic range and overall effect of the 1d MK III worth the extra money?

In case you haven't done this already, you can look on dxomark to see how the rebel xt, 1D IIN, 1DIII, and 7D compare in terms of high iso performance, dynamic range, and color depth.

Wide angle is the difficult part of owning a APS-H camera. They are aimed at sports shooters, photojournalists, and wildlife photographers. As such, there is much more demand for telephoto than wide.

I bought a Samyang 14mm lens planning on it to be used for my 1D MK III, but the lens was a piece of junk with the whole left side out of focus. Some have had good luck with them, its hit or miss.

Now, I use a older Tokina 17mm prime. Its reasonably wide, and is a reasonably good lens.

They are both 8MP and i dont want the dull color of the xt .

I have not used a 1D but I started with an XT, upgraded to an XTi and then to a 5DmkI. The 5D came out the same time the 1DmkIIn came out. Even cropping the 5D image down to 8MP, it way out performs the XT and the XTi in IQ. Exposure, AWB, auto focus, ETTLII, all out perform the XT &amp; XTi. 17mm on the 1D is equal to 22mm on my 5D. I find 24mm on my 5D plenty wide for me. Others prefer wider. Just depends on your shooting style and what you like. IMO the 1DmkIIn IQ will be much better than the XT not to mention all the other features that come with the 1D.

Mark
    Mark

Mark, thanks alot that really helps to hear. I am not looking for a completely wide lens just something that is a good all around lens but is certainly not telephoto. and since im already stretching my budget to get a 1D IIn/III i wanted some type of glass too, so it comes down to is it worth saving money and being able to get new glass, or getting the MK III and having a camera that will last longer yet only having mediocre glass(such as the 28-135 IS). I do just about everything with my photography but in college i am aimed towards photojournalism and communications so this will have to last me all through college. Thanks for the imput everyone