Thread: Using advice from last time, have the shots improved?

Using advice from last time, have the shots improved?

So a couple months ago I asked for advice on how to make my autocross shots a little better ( in THIS thread ). Anyways this time I shot everything using my 28-135 IS using a polarizing lens filter. I tried to frame them as best as I could using your advice. The weather didn't cooperate and made the backgrounds prettydrearylooking. C&C welcome.

f/7.1 @ 1/125

f/10 @ 1/80

Re: Using advice from last time, have the shots improved?

I think the shots have improved. I'm a bit unsettled by the first car's tire being off the ground. I think it would have been a better shot if you were on the other side of it and the tires were on the pavement (although, I realize, that may not have been a possibility). Otherwise, I think you did a great job panning and I think the framing works well.

One of the guys actually asked me to go catch that Porsche lifting its front wheel like that, the AutoX guys love that stuff I do wish I could have gotten to the other side of the runway to shoot as there wouldn't be any trees in the background, but the SCCA is big on making sure people don't get run over.

I really like these pictures, especially the first one. I almost looks like the porsche is taking off. I think it more action-filled than the second the second. Also, I like that the red car stands out from the background (and that the Porsche is a prettier car []). The last picture becomes a bit dull due to the lack of action and colour (in my opinion). But all in all, two great pictures!!!

Lars

I like the composition and panning on these. You also have some nice wheel blur too. I love the wheel off the ground, I think it adds a sense of excitement and danger. I think the cars look a little soft, compared to your previous attempts, but I think that is a function of this 28-135mm lens that you used this time as compared to the 70-200mm last time. Last time the cars were much sharper. I realize that it was a dreary day, so that can certainly have an affect on the outcome. If it's cloudy and gray I would not use the polarizing filter, because it just further darkens the photos and you loose 2 f/stops. Stick with the UV filter on days like this. You may get some glare on the windows though, but since you're shooting from the side, it may not be an issue.

I think you are doing better with your background blur too, but I would still open up the lens a couple of f/stops. Perhaps, consider a slightly faster shutter speed (note the slightly blurred numbers and letters on the red porsche) and maybe that will yield sharper images of the car, but you may just be at the limits of your lens.

Since the weather wasn't cooperating you should also consider some post processing, by trying to improve the red color of the porsche and the green grass.

I hope you find this C&C helpful.

Rich

I candefinitelysee the need for some post, but to be honest I don't even know where to start. The most I've done is some cropping & exposure adjustment. Anybody know where some decent tutorials are?

What program do you use now for exposure and cropping?

After you adjust the exposure, then add a little contrast and/or saturation and that helps a lot.

If you shoot in RAW, then you can also adjust the white balance.

<span style="font-size: 10px;"]http://www.kelbytraining.com/

<span>Rich

I'm using DPP, I will play with them a bit and see what I can do.