Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Watercolor filter - too much or just right?

Watercolor filter - too much or just right?

Jordan Pond in Acadia NP. I didn't like the non filtered version, so I added a watercolor filter. I will post the original later, as I don't have it with me at the moment. The larger version can be viewed on at flickr.com/ehcalum under the Maine set. Thanks!

Re: Watercolor filter - too much or just right?

Hi Ehcalum:

Things like water color filtering a photo is strictly up to personal taste. I for one do not like any of the programs that makes the subject not look like photo, like this one. You will find others that will stand fast in saying that this is a beautiful shot, and for them they are right. Not me though.

Godspeed

Wayne

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"]</input><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden" />
    <div id="refHTML"]</div>

Sometimes the watercolor effect can resemble heavy noise reduction with oversharpening, like a typical digicam photo. It doesn't in this case, though. It looks to me like you excluded the chairs from the effect, is that right? Personally, I prefer oil on canvas effect. []

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning

Sometimes the watercolor effect can resemble heavy noise reduction with oversharpening, like a typical digicam photo. It doesn't in this case, though. It looks to me like you excluded the chairs from the effect, is that right? Personally, I prefer oil on canvas effect. [img]/emoticons/emotion-2.gif[/img]
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

I did not exclude the chairs, they were very "flat toned" in the original as well. I tried oil on canvas and didn't quite like the way the foliage and the trunk looked.

To be honest I didn't like the effect at all when I first viewed it. However when I saw a larger sample on your flickr it made more sense to me. It's not really my thing and taste, but I don't hate it either. If this is the effect you like I don't think you overdid it.

I'm very curious for the original. If you want....[A] Just to know why you didn't like the original.

Jan

Below is the org. Click for larger.

It looks pretty well, its a nice pictorial image. If i where to c&amp;c it, maybe add some Vignett to draw the attention to more the center of the frame? Dont forget its still subjective.

Hi Ehcalum:

I much prefer the original!!

Godspeed

Wayne

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"]</input><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden" />
    <div id="refHTML"]</div>

Quote Originally Posted by Ehcalum
    Below is the org. Click for larger.

Ah I see why you didn't like it. I prefer the water-colored one this time. However just getting a little bit more contrast or blacks could improve it in my opinion.

The original has more contrast than I imagined when you said "flat toned"

Perhaps de-tone the blues/purple? a bit? The haze behind the chairs and on the tree is somewhat disturbing I think.

Jan

Just my opinions, take them for what they are worth. Probably not much.

My thoughts when I saw this was why did the filter translate the color to such a birght green on the grass. My thought was you probably adjusted the contrast to pull the details out of the trees, and possibly adjusted the color. The brightness of the grass jumped out at me on this one.

The other thing is, with pictures of chairs I look at it as if you were puttingmyself in it. What is the purpose of the view from the chair, maybe I was tired from walking down the trail and decided to sit down?