Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: UPDATE: Sensor Cleaning - HELP! Advice Needed!

Re: Sensor Cleaning

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist

Have you tried the software fix? See p. 185 of your 7D manual for details on the Dust Delete feature, which records data from a reference image in the file headers of subsequent images, and if you process those images (RAW or JPG) in DPP, it applies the 'dust map' data to hide the spots (presumably by interpolating from the surrounding region of the image).

I do remember reading about that a ways back. I'm going to have to go thru that again and possibly try it out. I do know the camera retains the image in your camera until you update it with a new picture but what if you go back to not needing it to retain a picture at all...can you delete it completely or once you retain one, you will always have a photo in there for it to reference?

Denise

Have you tried the software fix? See p. 185 of your 7D manual for details on the Dust Delete feature, which records data from a reference image in the file headers of subsequent images, and if you process those images (RAW or JPG) in DPP, it applies the 'dust map' data to hide the spots (presumably by interpolating from the surrounding region of the image).

I do remember reading about that a ways back. I'm going to have to go thru that again and possibly try it out. I do know the camera retains the image in your camera until you update it with a new picture but what if you go back to not needing it to retain a picture at all...can you delete it completely or once you retain one, you will always have a photo in there for it to reference?

Denise

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Ruyle
    I do have to touch pictures up a bit if they're stopped way down, however. I just live with it.

Hi John -

I think this is more than I want to leave there. My eyes will go to all ofit in every picture I take now. And there are way to many spots for me to touch-up. []
    [img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.37.26/IMG_5F00_1077.JPG[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning

Definitely not. I've heard plenty of folks say that the camera comes back just as dirty after Canon themselves clean it. There's really only three solutions:
    • Clone it out
    • Don't shoot deep DOF (i.e. stay away from f/22)
    • Clean it yourself

Thanks, Daniel. I think I am going to buy what I need to clean it myself. I'm just not sure what that is yet. I noticed the spots in my sunrise photos that were shot at f/6.3 and f/7.1 so it's not like I can easily avoid seeing them in the future. I will watch the youtube link you provided and just take it from there. I am pretty nervous about doing this. I called the local camera shop down the street from me and they said they would send it out for cleaning and it would take up to 4 weeks to get it back! I don't get why a camera store can't do it "in-house" while I wait!? And from what I hear of people getting it back from Canon dirtier than it left them, if you can't trust Canon to do it right ...who can you trust?

Denise

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725
    I think this is more than I want to leave there. My eyes will go to all ofit in every picture I take now. And there are way to many spots for me to touch-up. [img]/emoticons/emotion-6.gif[/img]

I agree it is too much to leave, but it would take only a few seconds to touch up. It's not *that* bad (assuming this was taken stopped way down).

I'm not saying you shouldn't clean it, but I've lived with worse on my IDIIN.

Well, I decided to clean it myself and will look into which brush and swabs to get. I'll probably order something from Amazon or B&H. Thanks to everyone for helping me out with this ...much appreciated.

Denise

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning
    <div>This is the guide I recommend to first timers:</div>
    <div></div>
    <div>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRW9AmDPqr0</div>

I just watched it ...thank you very much for the link! That is exactly what I needed to see! I was so bummed before viewing it but now ..how much simplier could he make it look! Heck, I can do that ...I think!? Once I find where to get them, I'm going to buy everything he showed in the video and I should be good!

Thanks again!

Denise

Personally, I bought a Visible DustArctic Butterfly 724 Super Bright.

I think that is what I'm going to get. I can't find the Silicone dust stamp that was used in the video link Daniel provided so I think I'll just go with the Artic Butterfly , a sensor loupe and maybe a sensor pen (?) Or maybe the swabs? Heck, this stuff isn't cheap but I guess what about photography is!?

I will take a look at the article on Canon's website ...thank you!

Denise

How much does sensor cleaning (physical automated cleaning) matter in DSLR's ?

Is it essential or just another feature to misguide ?

Good luck with the cleaning - there's really nothing to it - like Daniel said it's a lot like driving a car for the first time. Eventually you get behind the wheel, apply what you know and everything goes fine.

I went with Visible Dust's V-Swabs and a bottle of Eclipse - total cost was about $50. The swabs are expensive but worth it in my opinion. I used 1 to clean my 5D, which was hideously dirty when I bought it. Two drops of Eclipse and a couple passes with the swab...done.

The butterfly thing looks interesting though a little "technical" for me; nothing against it, I just preferred manually "scraping" away the dust with a swab and it worked really well. I'll be interested to hear how the butterfly works for you.

Anyway - glad you chose to DIY. You'll be fine.