Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: UPDATE: Sensor Cleaning - HELP! Advice Needed!

UPDATE: Sensor Cleaning - HELP! Advice Needed!

Hi All -

Last night I took photos w/ my 7Dof a white sheet of paper @ f/22 and sure enough, these little spots were everywhere. I ran the camera's sensor cleaning a number of times and I used the blower repeatedly and it helped very little.

It is still under Canon warranty which probably would cover cleaning but I also have a 4 yr. extended Best Buy warranty which it would be covered. Only thing is, they would have to send it to Precision Camera in Conneticut and it would take at least 2 weeks to get it back. [] I will feel naked without my camera for 2 weeks (which it always takes longer than they tell you)!! Plus, with the start of fall season, I will miss all the beautiful fall colors and deer photos that should be coming available soon! [:'(]

My question is, how risky is it to attempt to clean it myself or should I just hand it over to Best Buy to send out & run around naked for two weeks? [:P] For not being able to shootphotos worth a darn 1/2 the time, it's amazing how attached I am to this thing!!

I would have toorder whatever I 'd use to clean it(I only have lens cleaners and the rocket blower). Is there something available that shows me exactly what I should and shouldn't do? I don't want to turn a needed cleaning into a needed repair!

Denise

Re: Sensor Cleaning

Hey Denise, I feel your pain. Bryan's got a nice write up on cleaning here:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Photography-Tips/Sensor-Cleaning.aspx

I have to admit, I was as nervous as you are about doing it myself that I actually just mailed it to Canon. I don't think it took long at all, maybe a week to get mine back dirt free.

Quote Originally Posted by deltasun

I have to admit, I was as nervous as you are about doing it myself that I actually just mailed it to Canon. I don't think it took long at all, maybe a week to get mine back dirt free.

How much did Canon charge you?

Denise

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Photography-Tips/Sensor-Cleaning.aspx

Thanks for the link! I did not see this before, all I looked at was what Bryan recommended to use.

Thanks again!

Denise

Bummer. []

Have you tried the software fix? See p. 185 of your 7D manual for details on the Dust Delete feature, which records data from a reference image in the file headers of subsequent images, and if you process those images (RAW or JPG) in DPP, it applies the 'dust map' data to hide the spots (presumably by interpolating from the surrounding region of the image).

As for cleaning, the big DO NOT's are spelled out by Canon - don't power off, open the battery door, or open the card door, any of which will cause the shutter to close, damaging it.

You might want to check out Bryan's article on sensor cleaning.

There's also an article about sensor dust on Canon's Digital Learning Center.

Personally, I bought a Visible DustArctic Butterfly 724 Super Bright. I haven't needed to use it yet, but like death and taxes, sensor dust is inevitable...

Good luck!

--John

I cleaned my 1DIIN sensor a few times. No big deal.

Somehow, I haven't had to clean the 5DII at all. The cleaning feature works well enough for me.

(I do have to touch pictures up a bit if they're stopped way down, however. I just live with it. It's far better than my 1DIIN, even with occasional cleaning)

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725

How much did Canon charge you?

Denise
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

It was still under warranty and so it was free. I just had to pay for shipping one way - to them. Great to see that email from them saying it was going to cost me $0.

It was still under warranty and so it was free. I just had to pay for shipping one way - to them. Great to see that email from them saying it was going to cost me $0.

Really? Thanks for the info. Mine is still under Canon warranty also but I didn't think it would cover cleaning. Interesting!

Denise

Really? Thanks for the info. Mine is still under Canon warranty also but I didn't think it would cover cleaning. Interesting!

Denise
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

I didn't either, but they worked under the premise that the dirt came from the factory. Anything that "caked" and not readily clean-able with a blower, etc. was not caused by me. Anyway, you'll get an estimate once they receive it. Just make sure it's complimentary.

My question is, how risky is it to attempt to clean it myself?

There's very little risk. It's like the first time you ever drove a car. Sure, you could have crashed it, but most people are careful enough with their first time that they don't make any big mistakes. After the first, you realize how easy it is and you get better at driving fast (cleaning the sensor quickly) and safely.

or should I just hand it over to Best Buy to send out &amp; run around naked for two weeks? [img]/emoticons/emotion-4.gif[/img]

Definitely not. I've heard plenty of folks say that the camera comes back just as dirty after Canon themselves clean it. There's really only three solutions:

• Clone it out
    • Don't shoot deep DOF (i.e. stay away from f/22)
    • Clean it yourself

<div>
    Is there something available that shows me exactly what I should and shouldn't do?
    </div>
    <div></div>
    <div>This is the guide I recommend to first timers:</div>
    <div></div>
    <div>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRW9AmDPqr0</div>