<title></title>
    <meta name="GENERATOR" content="OpenOffice.org 3.1 (Win32)" />
    <style type="text/css"]
    &lt;!--
    @page { margin: 0.79in }
    P { margin-bottom: 0.08in }
    --&gt;
    </style>
    <p style="margin-bottom: 0in;"]<a name="lw_1284758032_8"][/URL]<span style="font-size: medium;"]No
    I have not seen the need to get insurance as I am a mother hen when
    it comes to my gear. With that said I have to say that I always find
    myself trying to cut corners when it comes to spending extra money on
    like insurance and membership fees. I've thought about it but
    I've never pulled the trigger when it comes to signing up for
    insurance. As far as my equipment goes its a small inventory of a
    5D2, 40D, battery grips, 70-200, 16-35, 15mm fisheye, 100mm IS macro,
    and my 580 EX flash. My strobes usually stay inside and don't travel
    with me and my tripods are pretty tough. My 360 pano head was 800
    bucks so thats pretty expensive where if that was damaged, lost or
    stolen I could not do a large portion of my work. Insurance would
    come in handy for sure if my photo bag was stolen, burned in a fire
    or I dropped my 5D in the water and destroyed it. I am pretty absent
    minded and sometimes leave my gear places but up to this point I've
    been lucky to get it back. To look back on my latest incident
    I'd have to sayit was an unfortunate mishap where it was just
    one of those things that happens from time to time. It was awful to
    hear and then see my lens on the concrete along with my flash. A few
    days before I had noticed that the zipper on my backpack was acting
    up but still worked where I placed an order for a new shoulder bag
    with more padding and that would hold more gear. It was due to meet
    me at one of the future hotels that I'm staying at while traveling
    for work. To bad it did not come sooner. I got the <span style="color: #000000;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman,serif;"]<span style="font-size: medium;"]<span style="font-weight: normal;"]<span style="background: none repeat scroll 0% 0% #dceeff;"]Lowepro
    Stealth Reporter D650 AW<span style="font-family: Times New Roman,serif;"]<span style="font-size: medium;"]<span style="font-weight: normal;"]
    Camera Bag and it looks awesome. <span style="font-size: medium;"]Also,
    I just rejoined Canon CPS today as my membership had expired. I'll
    let everyone know what the outcome is once I find out and report on
    the amount it costs to get the 70-200 fixed. I look at this incident
    as just something that comes with the territory when you're busy and
    that day I was very stressed with my photo assignment.

Re: 70-200 took one for the team

Quote Originally Posted by freelanceshots
    No
    I have not seen the need to get insurance as I am a mother hen when
    it comes to my gear.

You're just like me. Although I'm not relying on my gear since it's not my job. And since insurance-policies cover pretty much nothing, I didn't go trough with it and decided to be careful.

However if I would pay that much for a shoulderbag and had the equipment you have and have to rely on it... I would seriously consider insurance.

That's one big new shoulder-bag your getting. I hope it works out better for you []

I think the bag will be perfect. I've been needing a do everything type bag like this since I left my last job. I had the backpack because I worked at the paper where it came in handy because I was always running somewhere. The bad thing was to get to your gear it had to be set down on a flat surface which cost a lot of time. Plus it was easy to grab when it was not properly zipped up which I never did but came close once. I will be so glad to have this new bag. 149.00 at amazon. The scary thing with the back pack was that I rode my motorcycle with it all the time. Just think about your gear falling out at 70mph plus on the highway! If photo insurance is anything like my car insurance then they can shove it up their you know what. I will most likely be looking into insurance as it would be a lot more simple if something really goes wrong. One time I thought I left my brand new 5D2, 15mm fisheye and my 360 head setting out at the airport in a bag but after hours of looking for them they showed up in the trunk behind the speaker box. My heart almost did not recover from that one.

I have my own recent "incident" with my 70-200 f4 IS.... Last weekend I was in Honolulu on business, and after a day trip to the north shore with a business associate, the lens dropped from my bag getting out of the car at the hotel valet upon return. I fully accept responsibility and don't expect any sympathy here for my blunder. I just want to share my own expeireince with others...

BTW, the lens still seems to work fine although I suspect the crack in the case will affect the weather sealing. I plan on sending it in to Canon to have it repaired. Does anyone want to enter a guess of how much the repair will cost?

Use microstock sales via Shutterstock to support your photography habit!

I've heard that making an insurance claim on a few hundred dollars worth of damage isn't even worth it, am I correct? Insurance premium increases anddeductibleamounts are the major set backs right?

So maybe kicking yourself over a lack of insurance wouldn't even be worth it on something not worth claiming either way

Quote Originally Posted by BryanKing
    I plan on sending it in to Canon to have it repaired. Does anyone want to enter a guess of how much the repair will cost?

Bryan, I had a similar incident with my 24-105L. My repair cost was about $180. The Canon Rep told me they had a fixed cost for repair depending on the lens. So my guess would be about $200.

Bob

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by nickds7
    I've heard that making an insurance claim on a few hundred dollars worth of damage isn't even worth it, am I correct? Insurance premium increases anddeductibleamounts are the major set backs right?

I don't agree. I have State Farm insurance on mine (multi policy deal) and the cost is very reasonable--about $12 per month on $11K worth of gear. I have had one claim for a dropped lens, there was no deductable and I didn't notice any difference in monthly premium payments. Once I got the estimate from Canon, I made my claim by phone, emailed my agent the quote and had a check 48hours later. So for me it is worth every penny.

Bob
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bob williams
    Bryan, I had a similar incident with my 24-105L. My repair cost was about $180. The Canon Rep told me they had a fixed cost for repair depending on the lens. So my guess would be about $200.

Well I can stomach that kind of money for the repair. I feared that it could have been one of those situations where the repair would cost close to the full replacement. I'm in Colorado, does anyone know where I can easily find the closest Canon servicecenter contact info?

Good pictures of the damage but not a pretty sight! Wow, is that section of the lens metal or plastic on the f/4 70-200?

Close up of the damage to the filter from the fall onto the concrete from about 4 ft while I was at jogging speed. If I would not have had the filter on who knows what kind of damage could have been caused to the front element or lens body. Kind of sad that I have to loose the filter in addition to the lens repair as it was a 70.00 dollar Hoya Pro 1 Digital MC protection filter.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.32.66/70_2D00_200_2D00_lens_2D00_damage.jpg[/img]