Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canon's Picture Style "Clear" - Opinions Please

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Canon's Picture Style "Clear" - Opinions Please

Hi all -

When I went out shooting today, it was very wet and dreary. Here is a photo I took of two sailboats on Lake Michigan, shot using "Standard" as the Picture Style...pretty BLAH!

I thought I would try one of the Picture Styles I downloaded from Canon's Website so I chose "Clear". What are your thoughts, do you like the effect?

Thanks for viewing!

Denise

Re: Canon's Picture Style "Clear" - Opinions Please

Hi Denise:

For my $.02 it is a very good improvement. The entire picture is clearer, sharper and more crisp! Not sure what more knowable folks than I will think, but to me it is a real +.

Godspeed

Wayne

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"]</input><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden" />
    <div id="refHTML"]</div>

Yes an improvement for sure. This would be a good one to play with if shot RAW. I shoot JPG but I think one could come up with a lot of interesting variations on this. Maybe the RAW experts will provide a few.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wertman

Yes an improvement for sure. This would be a good one to play with if shot RAW. I shoot JPG but I think one could come up with a lot of interesting variations on this. Maybe the RAW experts will provide a few.

Tom
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

I do always shoot RAW and since I never have really used the Picture Styles I've downloaded from Canon other than the Autumn Hues, I figured it was a good time to experiment with them and a quick fix for this original photo (which anything would be an improvement for). I still want to mess around with the original alittle more. I have a few other photos with a third boat in it but I thought the third boat was distracting, this one was the best composition-wise, I think.

Thanks!
    Denise

Denise,

Did you take two shots, one standard, and one clear, or did you apply "clear" during PP?

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wertman

Denise,

Did you take two shots, one standard, and one clear, or did you apply "clear" during PP?

Tom

<div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

I applied the "clear" in PP. I have a number of post-processing programs but I'm not very good at any of them. I mostly just use DPP.

Denise

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725

...one of the Picture Styles I downloaded from Canon's Website...
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

wait, you can download picture styles from Canon's website? I had no idea! checking it out now...

Thanks, Denise!
    R6 II --- RF 14-35mm f/4L IS --- RF 24-105mm f/4L IS --- RF 100-400mm F5.6-8 IS
    70D --- EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 --- EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS --- EF 70-200mm f/4L IS --- EF 85mm f/1.8

Hi Denise:

Before you took the photo did you set your custom white balance? I see you have a 7D so I don't know how important it is for that camera and any of it's owners, However I found out a while ago that if I don't set my custom white balance my colors in the camera were not the same as the subject I was shooting, &amp; I shoot a 50D. Also did you try a UV filter, or a circular polarizing filter, or a neutral density filter. All have different affects on your end product, but something I learned not to long ago is the more accurate I am in camera the less post production is necessary.

Godspeed

Wayne

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden" /><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden" />
    <div id="refHTML"]</div>

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"]</input><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden" />
    <div id="refHTML"]</div>

using "Standard" as the Picture Style...pretty BLAH!

I agree

I thought I would try one of the Picture Styles I downloaded from Canon's Website so I chose "Clear". What are your thoughts, do you like the effect?

I like the effect and it's a big improvement over the original. I like it much better this way. By the way you did manage to use the rule of thirds prett good I see []

Anyway I also tried out some of the picture styles when I started out. I liked them on the website, but I didn't get good results. Perhaps in a few cases, but it was no absolute science. I don't use them anymore and I think I'm able to pull this effect (or close to it) myself with post processing so for me it isn't worth it.

HOWEVER: 1 question remains... I think I saw Canon picture style editor being mentioned once? Is it so that you could download some of these presets to your camera? If so it could be a very welcome feature for filming? [8-|] I use my own picture style for filming with just a little bit more contrast and some other minor changes, but if there would be a pre-set that would satisfy your needs, it would save you a lot of post-processing. And with video that's not a side which I have mastered yet.

Thanks for showing Denise!

Quote Originally Posted by Sheiky
    I think I saw Canon picture style editor being mentioned once? Is it so that you could download some of these presets to your camera?

You can put up to three custom Picture Styles on your camera - you do that with EOS Utility. Those can either be custom styles that you download from Canon (like Clear, Twilight, etc.), or you can use the Picture Style Editor to create new custom styles for yourself. You can make edits to the default styles directly in your camera, but I would think it's easier to do it on your computer (and you have many more editing options, too).