Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Canon's Picture Style "Clear" - Opinions Please

Canon's Picture Style "Clear" - Opinions Please

Hi all -

When I went out shooting today, it was very wet and dreary. Here is a photo I took of two sailboats on Lake Michigan, shot using "Standard" as the Picture Style...pretty BLAH!

I thought I would try one of the Picture Styles I downloaded from Canon's Website so I chose "Clear". What are your thoughts, do you like the effect?

Thanks for viewing!

Denise

Re: Canon's Picture Style "Clear" - Opinions Please

Hi Denise:

For my $.02 it is a very good improvement. The entire picture is clearer, sharper and more crisp! Not sure what more knowable folks than I will think, but to me it is a real +.

Godspeed

Wayne

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"]</input><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden" />
    <div id="refHTML"]</div>

Yes an improvement for sure. This would be a good one to play with if shot RAW. I shoot JPG but I think one could come up with a lot of interesting variations on this. Maybe the RAW experts will provide a few.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wertman

Yes an improvement for sure. This would be a good one to play with if shot RAW. I shoot JPG but I think one could come up with a lot of interesting variations on this. Maybe the RAW experts will provide a few.

Tom
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

I do always shoot RAW and since I never have really used the Picture Styles I've downloaded from Canon other than the Autumn Hues, I figured it was a good time to experiment with them and a quick fix for this original photo (which anything would be an improvement for). I still want to mess around with the original alittle more. I have a few other photos with a third boat in it but I thought the third boat was distracting, this one was the best composition-wise, I think.

Thanks!
    Denise

Denise,

Did you take two shots, one standard, and one clear, or did you apply "clear" during PP?

Tom

Denise,

Did you take two shots, one standard, and one clear, or did you apply "clear" during PP?

Tom

I applied the "clear" in PP. I have a number of post-processing programs but I'm not very good at any of them. I mostly just use DPP.

Denise

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725

...one of the Picture Styles I downloaded from Canon's Website...
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

wait, you can download picture styles from Canon's website? I had no idea! checking it out now...

Thanks, Denise!
    R6 II --- RF 14-35mm f/4L IS --- RF 24-105mm f/4L IS --- RF 100-400mm F5.6-8 IS
    70D --- EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 --- EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS --- EF 70-200mm f/4L IS --- EF 85mm f/1.8

Hi Denise:

Before you took the photo did you set your custom white balance? I see you have a 7D so I don't know how important it is for that camera and any of it's owners, However I found out a while ago that if I don't set my custom white balance my colors in the camera were not the same as the subject I was shooting, &amp; I shoot a 50D. Also did you try a UV filter, or a circular polarizing filter, or a neutral density filter. All have different affects on your end product, but something I learned not to long ago is the more accurate I am in camera the less post production is necessary.

Godspeed

Wayne

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden" /><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden" />
    <div id="refHTML"]</div>

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"]</input><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden" />
    <div id="refHTML"]</div>

I have a number of post-processing programs but I'm not very good at any of them.

Have you tried DxO Optics?

Tom

I have a number of post-processing programs but I'm not very good at any of them.

Have you tried DxO Optics?

Tom

No, I haven't. I only heard about it recently on this forum. Is it pretty good? Simple to use?

Denise