Thread: Upgrade from semi-defective XTi to 40D or send the XTi to Canon Service

Upgrade from semi-defective XTi to 40D or send the XTi to Canon Service

Hi everybody,

I currently own a Rebel XTi. Recently, I bought the Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM lens (the 1.2L seems nice, but way out of my budget !). After a few test shots, I though the lens had a front-focus problem. I tested it with the ruler-on-the-wall technique this morning and found that the lens was indeed front-focussing. I also tested my Sigma 10-20mm DC EX. The 10-20mm also front-focussed.

Suspecting a problem with my camera, I tested the 85mm again, this time with my girlfriend's XSi. The shots were properly focussed.

I do a lot of indoor shots and I sometimes cover shows for my university's newspaper, so I am now wondering if I should send the XTi (which is not under warranty anymore) to Canon to be repaired or sell it and buy a 40D instead (that would fit my needs better I guess).

The XTi front-focus problem is not that bad on slow lenses (like the kit lens), but is exacerbated on fast lenses like the 85mm : a shot focussed at the 15 cm mark on the ruler will yield a shot that is clear around 13.5 cm (1.5 cm = 0.6 in.), so a wide open portrait will not be sharp considering the shallow DOF. The AF accuracy test was done near the 85mm lens MFD (around 90 cm - the 85mm's MFD is 85 cm).

I once sent the XTi to Canon before the warranty ended, because there was a persistant green pixel on the sensor (even on pictures with the lens cap on). The sensor assembly has been replaced.

What should I do ?

Thanks to all !

STL

Re: Upgrade from semi-defective XTi to 40D or send the XTi to Canon Service

you mentioned selling it .... if you do be certaim to tell the prospective purchasers the camera is defective ...if you do i think you will find it almost worthless therfor fix and then decide what you need to do

mark

I would not say the body is 'defective', as I shot for 1 year and a half with it without noticing it. It's only with a very fast lens wide open that the problem arises. This is why I said the XTi is 'semi-defective' !

Furthermore, maybe the 85mm is slightly front-focussing and the XTi does front-focus slightly too. In this case, the front-focus problem would appear stronger that it really is.

How much would it cost to have the XTi and the 85mm sent to Canon to be told to "play together nicely" (like Brian once said) ?

semi defective is like being semi pregnant ...it is either or isnt ... i dont know what it will cost to make them play nicely together ...but if you sell it without advising the purchaser you may find yourself on the receiving end of that deal one day ...not fun

Upgrade the firmware on your defective body first and try it out before disposing of it. There are no warranty limitations when upgrading the firmware. Whatever you do, please do point out the defect if you're trading in or selling it.

The 40D is in any case a much better body (possibly better than the 50D).

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Stuart Fletcher
    Upgrade the firmware on your defective body first and try it out before disposing of it. There are no warranty limitations when upgrading the firmware.

The current firmware is 1.1.1, so my XTi is up to date.

I do will tell the potential buyer about the front-focus problem, but I will investigate a little more by trying more lenses before calling it dead. The Sigmas are generally known to front-focus/back-focus slightly, so I am gonna try with Canon lenses (including a friend's L glass if I can) to make sure the body has indeed a noticeable front-focus issue.

I wished the 40D had the 50D's micro-adjustment feature, as it might help mitigate such a situation.

Thanks to all !