Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 40D/50D + EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Lens

40D/50D + EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Lens

Hey guys,

I'd like to know what are your thoughts about this combination. By that I mean - if that's the ONE and ONLY lens you could have with either the 40D or 50D, could you manage to work with this lens as a general purpose lens?

Re: 40D/50D + EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Lens

I would highly doubtthat the 85/1.8 on a 1.6x cropped body would become a general purpose lens. Personally I have the 85/1.8 and a XTi body; both of them are great especially the lens. However, I found myself use the 85/1.8 almost only for portraiture shots. To get a full body portraiture I'll need to back up quite significantly a bit. So I will pretty much be stuck if this is my only lens on a x0D body since this combo will heavily limit my usage.

After many hours of running around w/ my 24-105 f/4 I'd have to say that it'd be my choice if I could only have one lens on my 40D. The 17-55 f/2.8 would be a very close second. Of course, both of those cost considerably more than the 85mm 1.8. In that price range I would probably go with Sigma 30mm f/1.4.

He might want to consider the 50mm f/1.4 for a good general purpose lens on a crop sensor. It's a little soft wide open, however, looks pretty darn good from f/2 and onward. I personally like a zoom for my general purpose lens, however, my next choice (the 17-40 f/4) is about twice as expensive as the 50mm f/1.4.

If you can live with a prime and enjoy using wide apertures, it's a really decent choice, in my opinion.

If I could only have one lens, it'd have to be a zoom. 24-105 f/4would be my first choice. If I was married to a crop camera, I'd look into the 17-55 f/2.8 IS, though I've never bought an EF-S lens for myself because I've always lusted after full frame. I actually bought a Rebel film SLR to let me take some full frame shots before I acquired my now obsolete 5D. Heck, I'd still opt for the discontinued 5D over anything short of a 5D mkII, assuming I could only have one camera.

Oh sorry, I forgot to say that this one lens should be a prime. Otherwise I'd probably grab a 17-55 f2.8, but I'm looking for something cheaper without compromising on anything - not the IQ nor the build quality and this I can only get from a prime. That's why I'm asking whether it is possible to work with one good PRIME (yet non-L, again... budget) lens or not? If so, what lens would you suggest?

I really want either a 40D or 50D rather than a good zoom like the 17-55 f2.8 with a XXXD body. I gave it some thought and if it is possible to work with one prime lens then I'd get a XXD body + [good fast prime lens which is bellow $500] and once I can afford it I'd get a 17-55 f2.8, 17-40 f4 L, 24-70 f2.8 L or even maybe a 24-105 f4 L (I prefer at least f2.8). Also, it would save me a lot of headaches as it's very confusing to choose ONE zoom lens from the above list as the only lens to have. My first plan was to get one of these zooms and as I read more I only get more confused than I was at the beginning, plus I don't think I can afford now a XXD body + one of these zooms + the insurance for both. As I said, I don't want a XXXD body cause I'm pretty sure that later on I'd upgrade it to a XXD body and I'd lost some $$$ in the process.

P.S I said no more than $500, but maybe I should mention that I don't want a $200 lens either since a $200 lens can't be: fast + high IQ + solidly built IMO and I doubt anyone can prove that to be wrong (I bet someone is going to try here... LOL)

Thanks again for the help, I really appreciate it

It will be hard to think of a very good build quality prime lens which is good for general purpose and is within $500. I have never used the 28/1.8 but from lots of people this lens is quite good. Generally I will choose something between 28~50mm on the 1.6x cropped body if I have to stick to only one prime lens for general purpose usage. My very personal choice will be the 35/1.4L since it has top of the line IQ and it's just about 50mm on a cropped body.

Well, if it has to be prime, i think I'd go with the 50 f/1.4...

I might look into a little wider, depending on what you like to do, but even cropped, it does some wonderful things.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin

Well, if it has to be prime, i think I'd go with the 50 f/1.4...
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Hmmm, yes that had been my first thought but then I read Bryan's review on the 85mm f/1.8 which according to Bryan is much better built.

Anyhow, my question more generally is, is it possible to work with just one focal length without becoming [8o|]

You can do an interesting test if you'd like to: can you shoot for 1 week with only one focal length?

I don't want to go for a whole week at one focal length!

if I did, I think I'd go 35mm or 50mm on a full frame body. Telefoto is good for getting in on interesting things, but from a creative standpoint, I like the variability of perspective provided by a wider angle lens and positioning objects in foreground and background. Then again, telefoto lets you get into things that sometimes you just can't get close to...