Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CP Filters

CP Filters

Hi i recently got my new Mk III and 50 1.8 II. I was looking not for a circular polerizing filter instead of my basic UV one. My question is how do these work and all i know is that they make more color ful pictures as well as enhances even color within the sky and foreground in landscapes. Does it cut down on f-stops or light coming through? and how do you know when to compensate? i am kinda lost . thanks !

Re: CP Filters

Which Mark III?

CPL filters do cut down on light coming through, but mostly on light that
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

A CP filter has a front part that rotates. As it rotates, it varies the amount of reflections it reduces. It is a reduction of reflections in the sky that causes the bluer sky. It can reduce reflections on water, windshields, plants, etc.

Even when positioned to have little or no effect, you lose around 2 stops of light. At the best of times, this doubles as a weak ND filter, allowing your a thinner DOF in strong sunlight. At the worst of times, it means blurred shots due to slow shutter speeds. A CP filter isn
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Thanks this makes sense. But how will i know how to rotate the front? im still a little troubled about the point of it rotating. And to asnwer the first question the 1d Mk III .

Think of rotating the front of the filter just like you turn the focusing ring on the lens. You turn it until you are happy with the effect. If you turn it too far and don

David is right. Generally speaking, a CPL filter will eat up about 1.5-2 stops of light. There are CPLs that are designed to block less light (the new Hoya HD CPL is said to block about a stop less than others), for my type of photography, I use the light loss to my advantage by either underexposing the sky (giving an even deeper blue) or allowing for shallower depth of field.

There's a very distinct difference between these two shots (although both were taken using a CPL). The shot on the left was taken with a 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS @ 105mm, while the shot on the right was taken with a 17-55mm f/2.8 IS @ 24mm. There effect is much less even on the pic on the right because it was taken with a much shorter focal length. Also, the effect can be a bit strong and unrealistic if you turn the CPL a little too far (which I might have been guilty of in the second shot).

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters
    There are CPLs that are designed to block less light (the new Hoya HD CPL is said to block about a stop less than others),

Minor correction - according to their press release, the new Hoya HRT CPL offers ~1/3 stop more light. I think 'HRT' is the improved polarizing film, and 'HD' is their new high-density (harder) glass.

Quote Originally Posted by mpphoto12
    But how will i know how to rotate the front? im still a little troubled about the point of it rotating.

As others stated, you simply rotate the filter until you achieve the effect you want, as seen through the viewfinder.

[quote=neuroanatomist]

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters
    There are CPLs that are designed to block less light (the new Hoya HD CPL is said to block about a stop less than others),

Minor correction - according to [url="http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Press-Release/HOYA-HRT-Circular-Polarizer-Filter-Press-Release.aspx]their press release[/url], the new Hoya HRT CPL offers ~1/3 stop more light. I think 'HRT' is the improved polarizing film, and 'HD' is their new high-density (harder) glass.

[/quote]

Neuro is indeed correct. I knew I had seen the press release recently, but couldn't find a reference to the product via google search. When I found a review that mentioned that "<span style="font-family: Helvetica;"]the new HD polarizing filters use magic polarizing material that loses less light," I incorrectly assumed that the press release I had read referred to the HD CPL. That's what I get from pulling info off of a Ken Rockwell review... :-)

These are all unedited!

This first one has very harsh light with a terrible glare. I don't like this type of glare, because the water looks flat and has no depth or contrast to it.

If I turn the CP filter, then this is what I get.

This one has very flat harsh light. There is no definition in the wave, splash, or contrast. It looks very boring and uninteresting to me.

Turn the CP Filter and you have Medium Reflections

Turn it more and you get more reflections. I do like some reflections here and there, but I don't want the type of flat glare that is in photo #1.

See the definition in the wave breaking and the white splash.

This may have too many reflections, or it can be an effect. This is with the CP filter on, but I didn't turn it, so I don't know how it would have turned out, however, there is still some contrast , depth, and definition in the waves. The Surfers face and back are dark, because I was positioned one beach over to the left and not actually shooting on this beach.

I think this is a pleasant use of the CP filter @ f/2.8 300mm with a soft beautiful bokeh.

Rich

Ok, Last ones, I promise!

These 2 photos were taken 4 seconds apart. These are all also straight out of the camera, there was no PP.

Can you tell which one you like better?

Keep in mind the CP was on the Lens for both of these shots just like the set above.

I personally like the second shot better. I think there is more contrast between the white roof and the sky, which to me makes the house pop off of the screen better. I think the roof in the 1st shot gets lost in the sky a bit.

I also think the sky is bluer in the 2nd one. and the water and waves have a more natural color and contrast in the swells. I also think the trees, grass, and algae on the posts are greener. The flag and life preserver also look better to me and all this was just by turning the CP filter. Now, if I did some PP, then I could really make the 2nd one even better. One thing that can "not" be done in PP is to remove the effects of the non-polarized light. If you back up from your screen a little bit, then it's easier to see the differences.

I would suggest to take a few shots with varying degrees of CP rotation.

To view all of these pictures better, you can click on the photos above and go to flickr and then when there, click on them again to view them in full resolution and the view box.

I hope these shots will help some people in using their CP filter more.

Rich