Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Its a shame...

Alan

Re: Its a shame...

Quote Originally Posted by Keith B

It is ok to have opinions on this board as long as they match the ones of the few almighty.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Good one, Keith! [Y]

Quote Originally Posted by freelanceshots

It just makes no sense where it drives me crazy when my niece, nephew, and even my 40 plus year old sister type on their phones during dinner or most recently when my mother was in the emergency room and we where all sitting around trying to comfort her.

Good Morning All:

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
    <meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document" />
    <meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 10" />
    <meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 10" />
    <link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\WAYNEA~1.DER\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01 \clip_filelist.xml" />
    <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
    <w:WordDocument>
    <w:View>Normal</w:View>
    <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom>
    <w:Compatibility>
    <w:BreakWrappedTables />
    <w:SnapToGridInCell />
    <w:WrapTextWithPunct />
    <w:UseAsianBreakRules />
    </w:Compatibility>
    <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel>
    </w:WordDocument>
    </xml><![endif]-->
    <style>
    &lt;!--
    /* Style Definitions */
    p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
    {mso-style-parent:"";
    margin:0in;
    margin-bottom:.0001pt;
    mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
    font-size:12.0pt;
    font-family:"Times New Roman";
    mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";}
    @page Section1
    {size:8.5in 11.0in;
    margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in;
    mso-header-margin:.5in;
    mso-footer-margin:.5in;
    mso-paper-source:0;}
    div.Section1
    {page:Section1;}
    --&gt;
    </style>
    <!--[if gte mso 10]>
    <style>
    /* Style Definitions */
    table.MsoNormalTable
    {mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
    mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
    mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
    mso-style-noshow:yes;
    mso-style-parent:"";
    mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
    mso-para-margin:0in;
    mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
    font-size:10.0pt;
    font-family:"Times New Roman";}
    </style>
    <![endif]-->
    <p class="MsoNormal"]Some of the rudest and irresponsible behavior ( using one
    while driving, talking and texting ) in our <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
    <u1:WordDocument>
    <u1:View>Normal</u1:View>
    <u1:Zoom>0</u1:Zoom>
    <u1:Compatibility>
    <u1:BreakWrappedTables />
    <u1:SnapToGridInCell />
    <u1:WrapTextWithPunct />
    <u1:UseAsianBreakRules />
    </u1:Compatibility>
    <u1:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</u1:BrowserLevel>
    </u1:WordDocument>
    </xml><![endif]-->society occurs with that little bit of technology is in
    someone possession. Using it while the family is having dinner? You have got to
    be kidding me. Talk about a lack of manners. Very little is more important than
    the time we spend with our families. Not using an electronic devise, 99.9% of
    the time there is no emergency drastic enough to treat other people in our
    mists as they are less important than using a piece of technology that it not
    sharable with the entire group simultaneously as the person using it.<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal"]<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal"]Then we adults complain that the kids don&rsquo;t have any
    manners and act in
    <link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\WAYNEA~1.DER\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01 \clip_filelist.xml" />
    <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
    </xml><![endif]-->
    <style>
    &lt;!--
    /* Style Definitions */
    span.mceitemhiddenspellword
    {mso-style-name:mceitemhiddenspellword;}
    @page Section1
    div.Section1
    --&gt;
    </style>
    <!--[if gte mso 10]>
    <style>
    /* Style Definitions */
    table.MsoNormalTable
    </style>
    <![endif]--><span class="mceitemhiddenspellword"]<span style="font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman';"]irresponsible ways
    <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
    </xml><![endif]-->
    <style>
    &lt;!--
    /* Style Definitions */
    span.mceitemhiddenspellword
    {mso-style-name:mceitemhiddenspellword;}
    @page Section1
    div.Section1
    --&gt;
    </style>
    <!--[if gte mso 10]>
    <style>
    /* Style Definitions */
    table.MsoNormalTable
    </style>
    <![endif]--><span class="mceitemhiddenspellword"]<span>. GEE I WONDER WHY!!
    <p class="MsoNormal"]Nate:
    <p class="MsoNormal"]I swear you are one of the most creative persons I have come
    across in quite awhile. Not only an excellent bird photographer, but a writes/poet
    who&rsquo;s pro&rsquo;s are witty and entertaining.
    <p class="MsoNormal"]Absolutely Outstanding my good man!!!!
    <p class="MsoNormal"]
    <p class="MsoNormal"]Godspeed to All
    <p class="MsoNormal"]
    <p class="MsoNormal"]Wayne

It is ok to have opinions on this board as long as they match the ones of the few almighty.

Hi Guy' &amp; Gals:

Keith, that is so true! Not only here but in all forums I have ever been part of you see this happen. Usually the ones that have been on a forum longest act as if only their points of view are what is important. Often they can and will ridicule a newer arrival with little or no consequences, opposition and usually with support from other members that feel they have more or less what they see as equal investment. It happened to me hear, you just deal with it and continue to try and offer information that you deem to have value. Sooner or later if they don't accept you, you will find other as supporters that have similar opinions and feelings of investment as yourself. Eventually you should be accepted as an equal member, but not always.

Godspeed

Wayne

My only concern with the inclusion of Nikon is the additional delay in getting reviews on the site.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

<div>

Quote Originally Posted by Iguide

Hi Guy' &amp; Gals:

Keith, that is so true!Not only here but in all forums I have ever been part of you see this happen. Usually the ones that have been on a forum longest act as if only their points of view are what is important. Often they can and will ridicule a newer arrival with little or no consequences, opposition and usually with support from other members that feel they have more or less what they see as equal investment. It happened to me hear, you just deal with it and continue to try and offer information that you deem to have value. Sooner or later if they don't accept you, you will find other as supporters that have similar opinions and feelings of investment as yourself. Eventually you should be accepted as an equal member, but not always.

Godspeed

Wayne

Yes and the extreme sucking up to those few is tough to swallow and I think contribute to the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by peety3

My only concern with the inclusion of Nikon is the additional delay in getting reviews on the site.

Yes.

I'm also concerned with the fact I got logged off 3 times trying to make this post. I'm begining to think the moderators don't like my posts.
    </div>

Quote Originally Posted by Iguide

Hi Guy' &amp; Gals:

Keith, that is so true!Not only here but in all forums I have ever been part of you see this happen. <span class="field-item-description"]Usually the ones that have been on a
    forum longest act as if only their points of view are what is
    important. Often they can and will ridicule a newer arrival with little
    or no consequences, opposition and usually with support from other
    members that feel they have more or less what they see as equal
    investment. It happened to me hear, you just deal with it and continue
    to try and offer information that you deem to have value.

I've noticed very little of what I would call ridiculing on this forum, so much so that I thought Keith was joking when he made that statement. But I have no doubt of what you say. Perhaps whoever it was who ridiculed you didn't even know he or she was doing it. Thoughtlessness and/or arrogance are much more common than outright malice. If I ever ridiculed you or anyone else, I never meant to and I apologize. I'd be very surprised if those who have been on the forum longer than me, and whoever it was who ridiculed you, don't feel the same way.

Disagreement is a different matter, of course. There is plenty of disagreement on this forum- that's what makes it interesting. From what I've seen, disagreements have usually been civil. But of course, I haven't seen everything- I'm not in any way suggesting that the ridicule you are talking about did not happen.

Yes and the extreme sucking up to those few is tough to swallow and I think contribute to the issue.

Keith- correct me if I'm wrong, but I expect you're not talking about praise come individuals receive for wonderful pictures or kudos to Bryan for his hard work keeping this site running.

It is true that there are some members whose opinions seem to be well respected. This is fine with me, and in fact I have a good deal of respect for several of the posters to this site. What would really be a much bigger shame than changing of site format or inclusion of Nikon reviews (even worse than being logged out, though that is pretty annoying) would be if discourse was discouraged by this respect.

I haven't seen: "I have 1000 posts and you only have five so I'm right and you're wrong" or "everyone else agrees with me so I must be right, you dummy." No doubt the problem manifests itself in more subtle ways and perhaps I am too dense to have noticed it.

I don't know what to say or what can be done about it, but I'm glad Keith and Wayne brought this up. There are few among us who can't benefit from a reminder of how much harm one does by discouraging a newcomer to a forum such as this.

<div>I'm also concerned with the fact I got logged off 3 times trying to make this post. I'm begining to think the moderators don't like my posts.
    </div>

Logged off? As in your internet connection died? Or the browser window crashed? Or you weren't showing as still logged in, and had to re-log-in? NONE of those are things that the moderators can control.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

<div>

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Ruyle

Keith- correct me if I'm wrong, but I expect you're not talking about praise come individuals receive for wonderful pictures or kudos to Bryan for his hard work keeping this site running.

No. People's work should be praised if it is deserving.I feel if you give raving reviews of work that isn't deserving you can be doing injustice to that person also.I have given and received praise without feeling I received or given a smooch to the glutes. But a lot of the time the comments that accompany the praise are way over the top. I have seen people give bad advice about gear without being able to correct them because they have become a demigod on this site. Then there are people get all high and mightywho are praised fortheir advice when really they are just quoting Bryan and have actually never used the gear at hand. This burns me more than anything. I can see ISO and MTF charts and read Bryan's reviews myself but to me real world experience is what I want to hear about. I also get a kick out of those who seek out opportunities to talk down to folks. They must be walked on in their real lives and come here to re-establish their self esteem.

From what I have read Bryan seems very humble and not seeking praise. I'm pretty sure he is stoked just on the fact people spend so much time on this site. I would never say that he didn't deserve credit but let's keep it in perspective.
    </div>

Quote Originally Posted by peety3

<div>I'm also concerned with the fact I got logged off 3 times trying to make this post. I'm begining to think the moderators don't like my posts.
    </div>

Logged off? As in your internet connection died? Or the browser window crashed? Or you weren't showing as still logged in, and had to re-log-in? NONE of those are things that the moderators can control.

I get logged out of my account on this site. I was joking about the moderators throwing me off due to the content of these posts. But I guess it would seem totally feasible I'd come on here and complain that my internet connection would cut out. Sometimes I'll leave out the obvious because I'm giving the reader some credit. Obviously I have given too much credit to some.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Ruyle

<span class="field-item-description"]I haven't seen: "I have 1000 posts
    and you only have five so I'm right and you're wrong" or "everyone
    else agrees with me so I must be right, you dummy." No doubt the
    problem manifests itself in more subtle ways and perhaps I am too dense
    to have noticed it.

I don't know what to say or what can be done about it, but I'm glad Keith and Wayne brought this up. There are few among us who can't benefit from a reminder of how much harm one does by discouraging a newcomer to a forum such as this.

Hi John:

It is not very likely that you will actually see someone make references to their invested time or contributions being more valuable to a forum over a newer member as to why they say what they post. When it is done it is almost exclusively done with an underlying tone representing some form of superior knowledge or entitlement that they unconsciously feel. It almost is never made in a malicious way or in a way that openly puts someone or some one's ideas in extremely negative light or negative criticism. What we are really talking about is psychology and how people view their social position within a given community. In addition you can seen this exhibited in almost any community such as at small town meeting or a new member to a club or political post. This is a very common human reaction to any established group by some members of that group, &amp; that is all that I mean by commenting on this subject.

Godspeed

Wayne

I have seen people give bad advice about gear without being able to correct them because they have become a demigod on this site.

IMO, this is the worst part. No one should feel like they cannot voice their opinion because it contradicts someone else's. I, for one, want to hear all sides.