Thread: safety question

safety question

Hi! everybody,this morning, we had flash and thunder here in L.A, I was wondering how safe it would be if you are holding your long lens and/or tripod in the field in this weather condition, what is the right way to deal with it? thanks

Re: safety question

The basic safety rule is that if you can hear thunder, you can be struck by lightening. I'd be reluctant to set up a tripod (or even stand) in an open field in a thunderstorm. On my couple of tries at taking lightening shots, I've found an open field of view for the lens where I can still be close to a building or something much larger than me and preferably grounded...

I know people who do storm photography and usually when they attempt their lightning shots they set up everything in the backseat of their vehicle. They usually pull off on a not to traveled road or in a drive to a field, so not to block traffic or be an obstruction that might get the police on your case. Then they shoot their stuff out the rear window or sometimes the passenger window. This way, they can stay as long as they want and don

John and Jayson, thanks for the reply!