Thread: $2500 for canon slr and lens(es)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: $2500 for canon slr and lens(es)

Quote Originally Posted by btaylor

- build quality is much better in the xxD models

True, but I have droped my XTi multiple timeson concrete and it just bounces! Build for an ameture is no big deal.

- the 50D/60D both have autofocus microadjustment (which the rebels/T2i don't) and I consider this one of the most important features on my 5D2.

The 60D does NOT have AF microadjustment while the 50D does, that's partly why I didn't recomend it.

and it takes SD cards (instead of CF cards) which are generally cheaper.

But slower. Memory is cheap buy more!

If I were in your position I'd go with the 60D, 17-55mm f/2.8 IS, Canon 430 EX II speedliteand a Sandisk Extreme 16 GB SDHC memorycard. This would set you back $2488.95 at B & H.

That set up would be FAR more limiting than a T2i and 17-55mm or 24-70mm and 70-200mm. It's no fun to be stuk only with a standard range lens, I shot for two years with only the 18-55mm kit lens and that focal length range is usefull but also limiting and gets borring after a while!

John.

Re: $2500 for canon slr and lens(es)

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Glass

The 60D does NOT have AF microadjustment while the 50D does, that's partly why I didn't recomend it.

Thanks for the correction John (I hate to give false advice). The lack of micro adjustment was actually one of the things that blew me away with the 60D so I don't know why I missed that.

Rebecca you've got a lot of varied suggestions here, all will give you a good result. The best bet now is probably to head to your local camera store with these suggestions in mind and have a feel of the gear to see what suits you best.

Good luck. Ben.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30