Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: $2500 for canon slr and lens(es)

$2500 for canon slr and lens(es)

Hi all!

I

Re: $2500 for canon slr and lens(es)

Glass holds value, Digital cameras get up graded every 3 years so if you put all the money in a camera and not your lens in three years you have an outdated model a cheap lens. Where if you have a cheap camera and good glass, you have a good lens for a long time.

With your budget it eliminates the full framed bodies like the 5d mark II that sells for around $2400. That said with the cameras you get what you pay for, next down would be the 7D which a lot of people on this forum love. Next the 60D which replaces the 50D...so I wouldn

Welcome to the forum

Go with the Canon 7D and the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM. $2,551 from B&H

Only $51 over your budget and a super great setup.

Or you could get the 7D from Adorama
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by clemmb

Go with the Canon 7D and the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM. $2,551 from B&H

You can also piece this kit new from amazon for $100 less. Body from amazon and lens from adorama.

I opted for the 24-70 over the 17-55 because the price was right. ($1150 new, us market) and because the extra zoom feels worth it.

It's important to consider what you are going to be shooting. 17mm feels quite wide on a crop sensor camera and 24mm doesn't feel that wide angle at all.

Hi! rebeccaw, this is what i am thinking...

1, if you don't shoot a lot of fast moving subjects(e.g. BIF), 7D maybe over killed, i would go with 60D

Quote Originally Posted by rebeccaw
    I would be shooting candid portraits mostly outdoors (some indoors such as a friend's house, not a studio setting).

there are some nice lenses will fit you need like 24-105, 70-200, etc. but there is a must recommend lens is the 85mm 1.8. this is a great lens for candid shot even in lower light. this is not a zoom, but you can always move your feet and/or crop. if you buy 60D instead of 7D, the saved money can at least get you this lens.

I will agree with somebody has said in this forum, better buy 1 or 2 lenses first, take your time use it and get to know the lens and find if you have new needs, then move on to another lens.

just my 2 cents.

Unless you need speed I would opt for a T2i and a 24-70mm f/2.8and 70-200mm f/4, and if you want f/2.8 on the long end get a Tamron for Sigma 70-200mm for a little more.

If you do not want to upgrade in the futuretoo full-frame then I would getthe 17-55mm f/2.8 IS.

It makes no sense to buy a faster body with the same IQ when you don't need speed.

John.

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Glass
    Unless you need speed I would opt for a T2i

the only thing I don't like the rebel is the shutter lag, too long,to me, that's a deal breaker. i don't mind have one as a back up body though.

Quote Originally Posted by JJphoto

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Glass
    Unless you need speed I would opt for a T2i

the only thing I don't like the rebel is the shutter lag, too long,to me, that's a deal breaker. i don't mind have one as a back up body though.

Theres a lot things that differentiate the xxxD bodies. It is hard to say until you actually use both. Viewfinder, buttons, screen, shutter lag, af, larger grip (still not large enough, damn canon) . You might want to visit a store and try both, I think best buy has a 7d on display...not sure though.

Hi Rebecca, welcome.

I'd go with the 50D or 60D. As JJ mentioned, I think the 7D would be overkill and you get a lot of the same features with the 50D / 60D anyway. The 7D has its advantages in terms of frames per second etc but I don't think that will be your primary requirement.

I would head for one of the xxD models over the rebels/T2i for 2 main reasons:

- build quality is much better in the xxD models

- the 50D/60D both have autofocus microadjustment (which the rebels/T2i don't) and I consider this one of the most important features on my 5D2.

If you can afford it the 60D it does have some advantages over the 50D including a newer autofocus system, full HD movie mode (if that interests you) and it takes SD cards (instead of CF cards) which are generally cheaper.

In terms of lenses I think the Canon 85mm f/1.8 is a good suggestion and is a popular portrait lens. The EF-SCanon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS is also an outstanding lens. I would also get a speedlite (flash) and the 430 ex II is a fantastic mid range speedlite. Getting a handle on shooting with a flash effectivelyis very important part of portrait photography so why not start learning from the word go.

If I were in your position I'd go with the 60D, 17-55mm f/2.8 IS, Canon 430 EX II speedliteand a Sandisk Extreme 16 GB SDHC memorycard. This would set you back $2488.95 at B & H.

That would keep you going for some time as there's a lot of potential in this combo. The only problem with this setup is that if you want to upgrade to a full frame camera in the future the 17-55mm f/2.8 is not compatible so you'd have to upgrade. By that stage though I'm sure you'll have a good idea where you want to head.

Hope this helps anyway,

Cheers, Ben.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Quote Originally Posted by btaylor

- build quality is much better in the xxD models

True, but I have droped my XTi multiple timeson concrete and it just bounces! Build for an ameture is no big deal.

- the 50D/60D both have autofocus microadjustment (which the rebels/T2i don't) and I consider this one of the most important features on my 5D2.

The 60D does NOT have AF microadjustment while the 50D does, that's partly why I didn't recomend it.

and it takes SD cards (instead of CF cards) which are generally cheaper.

But slower. Memory is cheap buy more!

If I were in your position I'd go with the 60D, 17-55mm f/2.8 IS, Canon 430 EX II speedliteand a Sandisk Extreme 16 GB SDHC memorycard. This would set you back $2488.95 at B & H.

That set up would be FAR more limiting than a T2i and 17-55mm or 24-70mm and 70-200mm. It's no fun to be stuk only with a standard range lens, I shot for two years with only the 18-55mm kit lens and that focal length range is usefull but also limiting and gets borring after a while!

John.