Thread: Data recovery

Data recovery

I went out shooting yesterday, then back, when viewing pictures in DPP before transferring data to my computer, some error occurred and about 20 pictures lost. I used SanDisk Extreme 16 GB CF card, my question is can those lost pictures be recovered and if yes how much is the cost?, thanks!

Re: Data recovery

I have a program on my MAC at home, that I bought to recover some files off of a memory stick. It says it will recover files off of hard drives, cards or anything else, but it is MAC Based. The program cost me about $100.00 and I believe it was Stellar Pheonix. I will double check the program name when I get home.

Keep in mind though if the files were corrupted they may not be recoverable.

Mac or Windows?

Your SanDisk card might come with a free 1-year license code for RescuePRO...

One other thing as well, if the rescue pro that Neuroanatomist told you about doesnt work out.

When I was looking for a program to buy, there were several that offered free trials. You can use one the free trial to find out if the pictures you want to save are even on the disk. With the free trial you can download the software to do a scan and the ability to scan, but it will not allow you to rescue the picture until you buy the software. If the pictures are not there at all, save your money.

Here's a free option that I've used in the past, although it's not packaged in a neat GUI and thus requires a little dabbling in Terminal (Mac) aka Windows command line.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec

I use this program, it

Thank you guys very much for the quick reply! I am at work now,I will give it a try when I get home and let you know the result.BTW,I use MAC. THANKS again!

Sounds like you're already getting good advice. Best of luck with the recovery.

I hope you don't mind me asking, but do you format your card(s) often? I only once lost photos off a card years ago on an old P&S when I never formatted the card and instead opted to delete all photos. Since then I've formatted my various cards each time they reach 1/3 or 1/2 full or after most major outings and I haven't lost anything. I've mostly convinced myself that it's because of this formatting but I don't have any real statistics to back that up. I'm pretty sure that there's some mapping of bad data blocks during a card format which backs up the theory. I think I've also read/heard it recommended.

Use Recuva (http://www.piriform.com/recuva), it runs on Windows, it's completely free and it has a mode to "deep scan" the drive to recover files not found in the regular pass (be sure to read the user manual).

And DON'T use your memory card until you recover your files!

basically I