Thread: Which Lens

Which Lens

I am looking to buy a lens for landscape and a small amount of sports photography. I am trying to decide between the 70-300mm IS lens and the 70-200L f4.0 lens. Any suggestions or others to consider?

Thanks

Re: Which Lens

The 70-200mm f/4L would be the best option of those two, IMO, staying within that price range. The 70-200 f/4L will deliver better image quality, and has better build quality. You're giving up the 200-300mm range and image stabilization, however, the long end of the 70-300mm is not where lens is at it's best optically, and for landscapes you will hopefully be on a tripod and for sports you will usually be shooting fast shutter speeds, reducing the utility of IS.

Although traditionally, landscapes are shot with wide angle lenses, you can nicely isolate features with a telephoto. But, if you're seeking opinions on other options, it would help to know what other lenses you already have...

Welcome to the forums, by the way!

--John

Thanks very much John

Have found this site very useful for info on the canon lenses. I only have a 450d with the 17-55mm lens as i

Edd

Also, I welcome you to the forum

Quote Originally Posted by jonesejm

I only have a 450d with the 17-55mm lens
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Only? A 450d is 12 megpix. This camera with good glass can deliver professional results. You have a great start with the 17-55. Adding a 50mm f1.4 would be a good addition. For the zoom I would also recommend the 70-200L. If your budget can handle getting the IS version, that would be a plus.

Mark
    Mark