Thread: ND Filter Choices - Shooting wide open in broad daylight

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

ND Filter Choices - Shooting wide open in broad daylight

I

Re: ND Filter Choices - Shooting wide open in broad daylight

Quote Originally Posted by TakahiroW4047

And are there any adjustable filters for ND? Maybe I'm being too optimistic, but something like the CPL where you can adjust the amount of effect you want.

Thanks all!!
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

There are adjustable (variable) neutral density filters. The top of the line filters are Singh Ray Vari-ND filters, but they are very expensive. I use a ]LightCraftWorkshop Fader ND filter which does the same thing, yet it isn't quite up to the same quality standard as the Singh Rays (I imagine, at least), but it is substantially less expensive. I have the 58mm version that I use on my 5omm f/1.4 and 85mm f/1.8. Using the LCW FaderND does mess with my autofocus, so I'm forced to use manual focus--but when I have a subject that can stand still, I love the effect.

Canon 50D, 50mm f/1.4 @ f/2.2 w/ L.C.W Fader ND

ND filters are rated in stops, so if you want to go from f/8 down to f/2, thats 4 stops (same as f/11 to f/2.8). From f/8 to f/2.8 is 3 stops, etc. Sometimes the stops are translated to a log value, so a 3 stop filter is called 0.9, 6-stop is 1.8, etc., and sometimes they're labeled as a filter factor, so a 3-stop filter, which lets in 8-fold less light, is called ND8.

Yes, there are variable ND filters - check out the Fader ND (B&amp;H sells them) or the more expensive Singh-Ray Vari-ND filters. You can also make your own - if you have a CPL you can stack that on a linear polarizer to make a variable ND filter (in fact, that's essentially what the two products I mentioned are).

Hope that helps...

--John

Hi,

Also consider just a simple 3-stop ND filter, as they are relatively inexpensive. I used to use Tiffen but I found that they were affecting color way too much. I've been pretty happy with the Marumi ND 8 DHG. It's not as solidly built as the B+Ws I usually use, but it's good optically and good value for money for the price (&lt;$40 for the 77mm one).

Sean,

Beautiful shot as always!

Tony

Thanks all!!

Since all my lenses have different filter sizes, I decided to not spend a fortune and get a variable ND filter for just one lens.

I took Tony's advice and got the non variable filter lens for my 50mm f/1.8 II. Tiffen ND 0.9 Filter $15 from B&amp;H.

Things get so much cheaper when they're for 52mm []

So far no color issues that PS can't fix. No AF issues. The viewfinder is darker and somewhat hard to see but nothing I can't get used to.

Here's my very first quicky test self-portrait that I did.

50mm, f/1.8, 1/100sec, Tiffen ND0.9 Filter

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/480x320/__key/CommunityServer-Components-UserFiles/00-00-00-39-83/10_2D00_10_2D00_10.jpg[/img]