Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: i want a 60D!!!

i want a 60D!!!

hi everyone!

i've been shooting with my 450D for over two years now, and lost reading the reviews on this site. lots of new canon cameras have been introduced during this time, but so far, none of them have seriously compelled me to upgrade... until the 60D arrived!

the 450D is my first DSLR, and i have used it a lot over these past two years - mainly because it's small/light enough to fit in my bag, and actually have it with me most of the time. i use in a variety of situations (travel/landscapes/weddings/sports/portraits) here are the reasons why i now want to upgrade to the 60D:
    • i've been eager to try my hand at video, but it's only until now that there's a swivel screen, and the fact that manual controls are available as standard
    • larger and more comfortable grip - better overall ergonomics
    • higher frame rate (as i always leave my camera on burst shutter mode, just in case i need some "insurance" shots)
    • also keen on a less squeeky and unobtrusive noise for the shutter (compared to my 450D)
    • better viewfinder, so that i don't need to squint as much!
    • better AF performance - especially for times i'm using AI Servo for action shots
    • it's not as big and heavy as the 7D!
    • higher ISO possibilities, for when there's not much light around
    • improved metering system
    • i'll be able to use my 430 EX II wirelessly!!

i'm well aware of all the negative reaction to the 60D, but as a xxxD/Rebel user, i think it's a VERY tempting camera upgrade.

do any other xxxD/Rebel users out there feel the same?

Re: i want a 60D!!!

I would wait for the reviews. The spec sheet misses some things I would want for the price. With the 7D cost falling somewhat, I am not really sure I would be in a hurry to buy a 60D. The 7D has better autofocus, weather sealing, micro adjust and a host of other features that make it seem like the clear choice in my mind given the price differential.

I am sure it is a great camera, though. If you want one, go for it.

Barba makes a good point. A current xxD camera without microfocus adjustment is surely a misstep by Canon. If and when Canon decides to add this feature via a firmware update, then it'll be a good camera to consider. Without it, though, you're just rolling the dice as to whether or not your lenses will work optimally with your camera.

Hey Danny,

Quote Originally Posted by dbdb

i'm well aware of all the negative reaction to the 60D, but as a xxxD/Rebel user, i think it's a VERY tempting camera upgrade.

do any other xxxD/Rebel users out there feel the same?

I understand your thoughts. However I would also wait for more specs and reviews before actually pulling the plug.

Besides that I personally would have bought the 7D. With 2 of your lenses it will provide full-weathersealing which is actually very nice. And it has a lot of the same features that the 60D has and more.

i've been eager to try my hand at video, but it's only until now that there's a swivel screen, and the fact that manual controls are available as standard

The swivel thing is very personal. I personally don't like it. With video it could be a big benefit. However if it's worth the extra money...that's up to you.

it's not as big and heavy as the 7D!

Size-wise the 60D is not really much smaller than the 7D. The 7D is about equally wide, it is somewhat higher, but it's also somewhat thinner. If you're going to do the math, you'll figure out that the actual volume is pretty much the same [] It is heavier though. However the 60D is already heavier than the 7D and the lenses you use aren't the lightest as well, so they might feel more at home.

Anyway other than the swivel thing(which is only helpful in a hand full of circumstances), I personally don't see much favors for the 60D vs the 7D. It's up to you what you want. I could understand your choice, but I would have made another choice myself [] Of course price is another factor, but with the rebates you might cath a nice deal.

Either camera will do fine, remember that []

Jan

Upgrades are always exciting. And it sounds like the 60D has a lot of what you

it's not as big and heavy as the 7D!

The 60D is 5 oz. lighter than the 7D, true...but the 7D is only0.1" wider and 0.2" taller than the 60D, so if you really like the size of the Rebel, be aware that the 60D is a substantially larger camera than your 450D (which accounts for it's "Larger and more comfortable grip - better overallergonomics.")

One reviewer described the 60D as a 'Super Rebel' (I don't really agree with that, it's got a pentaprism not a pentamirror, a top LCD, and 9 cross-type AF points). Regardless, it seems clear that YOU (well, not you specifically, but you generally) are Canon's target audience for the 60D - xxxD users wanting to upgrade (as opposed to xxD users, for whom the 7D may be a more suitable path).

I moved from a T1i/500D to a 7D, and one of the main drivers was AF microadjustment, so the 60D would not have been a good option for me.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist
    and one of the main drivers was AF microadjustment, so the 60D would not have been a good option for me.

I see that Danny also uses a Sigma 30mm 1.4. A friend of mine uses it as well and when he found out he could micro adjust it with his 50D he was even more in love. Micro-adjustment can be a very nice thing. I personally use it with my Sigma 50mm 1.4 and it's an entirelydifferent world after adjustment.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheiky
    Micro-adjustment can be a very nice thing.

For many lenses, it's not really necessary - Danny's 10-22mm, 18-55mm, and probably 24-105mm would likely not see a huge difference unless the lens was really out of calibration. But for wide aperture lenses (50/1.8, 30/1.4) or even moderately wide lenses used in situations where the DoF is shallow (e.g. his200/2.8 used for a relatively close portrait shot), AF microadjustment can make a big difference in IQ if using AF.

That

Having said that, it's just one feature. Weather-sealing is another. Are those and others worth the price difference? That's something for Danny to consider...

I did run across this comparison.