Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 24-70 or 17-55?

24-70 or 17-55?

I've been thinking for a while and can't really figure out how to sort this decision out. I bought some time ago the 70-200mm F2.8 non-IS and I'm looking forward to save the money to get a new mid/wide-range lens to substitude my kit lens.
    So, the 24-70 was in my mind because it is an L lens and it ends right where my tele start, so I wouldn't have any focal length missing. But I heard such good reviews for the 17-55 EF-S -which was the lens I also had to choose from when I bought my 70-200- that I just couldn't get it out of my mind.

So, I think I won't be upgrading to a full-frame any time soon. I think I'll pass from the XSi to an xxD body sometime when my XSi will start not to work as perfectly as it does now, or will break down totally.
    Thus, I'm not really sure if I should buy the L lens -another!- since I won't be getting a full-frame soon. But I'm not so sure to buy the EF-S and then someone will just get me the full-frame for christmas or my birthday sooner than I expected.

... What are your opinions? I'm still grasping out at straws here ^^

Re: 24-70 or 17-55?

I would get the 24-70 f/2.8Lor even the 24-105 f/4L (it's what I have on my camera 90% of the time which also is a crop sensor). If you want to go wider you could always consider the 17-40 f/4. It's missing some from the long end but it's L sharp as well as build quality. A XXD is a nice transition body from a Rebel as a full frame is a major leap. It sounds like you eventually want a full frame though (as most of us do!) so I feel it's better to try to limit the amount of EF-S glass you have in your kit. I personally only own one EF-S lens and don't plan on purchasing anymore. It's the 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 and I absolutely love it!

The 17-55, hands down. Reason being: Much better range on crop bodies, 'L' grade IQ (sharper than the 24-70), IS, smaller lighter package.

I just can't recommend EF-S, not because of quality of any sort. It is that I know sooner or later most people (if not all) will catch that full frame bug and then that lens will never see the light of day. Even if you keep a crop camera as a back up you won't want to use the EF-S lens.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith B

I just can't recommend EF-S, not because of quality of any sort. It is that I know sooner or later most people (if not all) will catch that full frame bug and then that lens will never see the light of day. Even if you keep a crop camera as a back up you won't want to use the EF-S lens.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

FWIW, the EF-S 17-55 keeps its resale value very well, in fact I know many photographers who have kept xxD's around just to use with it and the 10-22. As for "most people (if not all)" catching the FF bug that is an enormous exaggeration.

Sorry I'll try to be a little more literal.

I guess I need to post "LOL" after extreme exaggerations in the future. I'd hate to offend anyone else.

I am by no means offended. It was just a stretch of a comment to make and I'd hate for anyone to come away with any misconceptions.

I can see how anyone would be misled by such "factual type statement". Factual because I know EVERYONE and everyone DOES have the FF bug.

I'll remember to be more pretentious and try not to enjoy any friendly banter here. Unfortunately I still wouldn't recommend it, but that is why I have an opinion and is also the reason I didn't slam it. I gave no mis-information, I gave NO information about the lens only my opinion.

Excuse me while I go find a stick to put up my butt and take myself and my comments as serious.

PS

Original statement made because I don't know any pros who have any EF-S. Even those with crop cameras.

Disclaimer: I don't know all pros. Therefore some pros may actually have this lens.

PSS

I hear that it is a really great lens, so you make up your own mind and don't ask opinions anymore.

the 17-55 by a long shot ...it has L optics is a perft lens for your crop body .... though not L construction it is a great lens nice focal lenghth and lighter

Quote Originally Posted by Keith B

PS

Original statement made because I don't know any pros who have any EF-S. Even those with crop cameras.

Disclaimer: I don't know all pros. Therefore some pros may actually have this lens.

PSS

I hear that it is a really great lens, so you make up your own mind and don't ask opinions anymore.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Kieth, perhaps you read my post with malice, but that was not my intent. As for not knowing any pro's that use crop bodies--I guess I'd be one of the many you don't since I own a pair of 40D's and a 1DIII (if you count that as a crop). I am also aware of dozens of other photogs who use crop bodies in their line of work (seven of which work with me). As for owning the 17-55 I do not, although if I wasn't convinced that there was a 24-70II on the way I would. Instead I own a Tamron 17-50--for what it's used for did not call for IS or the AF speed the 17-55 offers (Studio portraiture).