Thread: Tips for indoor photos of homes and offices.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Tips for indoor photos of homes and offices.

Thanks for the tips everyone. Never had any use for a really wide angle lens until now. These two lens had covered my needs just fine. The 2.8 leica 14-50 and my favorite lens the leica 14-150.

Also now that I'm checking back on this post I'm thinking more of the counter tops in the kitchen should be shown, kind of similar to the angle of the bedroom table in front of the bed shot where that will also make the nice refrigerator seem more accessible. I've attended seminars/meetings on shooting smaller/tight interior images as this is what the majority of my work has been for the last year and an emphasis was put on keeping the overall presence of the image simple and clean, balancing out the ceiling and the floor, obtaining a balance between the different light sources which you've done a good job of. I think also that the mat in front of the sink should be removed. My eye is drawn to it where I'm bouncing back and forth between different parts of your image back to the mat. I feel like a decorative type square or circular rug can stay but it just depends on the room and the mood. When you elevate the camera to capture more of the counter tops your vertical lines are going to get more skewed to catch abalance of the floor and ceiling thus the need for perspective correction software is a must. I use photoshop CS4's tools where there are many ways of correcting the perspective depending on what you like or feel comfortable with. I use PT Gui Pro for my 360 equirectangular panoramas and you can use it to combine images that are flat but it would be helpful to invest in some added equipment. A sturdy tripod and a pano head would be good for this but PT Gui can try to combine/stitch them without these accessories. Here is a link to a small apartment that I did the 360 Panorama in just so you can see what can be done with PT Gui. Link Here (you will need Quick Time player which most people should have already) For anyone who's not seen this before just right mouse click and drag in the direction you want to move. You can also look up and down to a degree but for the purpose of this image it did not need the full 180 degree rotation.

-The 2.8 leica 14-50 and my favorite lens the leica 14-150.-

Those are pretty wide lenses but I would guess that you are using those lenses on a camera with a smaller digital sensor. Maybe your not but thats what I would assume because a 4X5 or lager format camera would give you an even greater field of view using 14mm. Using the crop type/size of camera sensor turns your lenses into a 21mm /22mm lens which is not as wide as a 16mm on a full frame camera body. The case could be these rooms are extra small but I would assume first it was the camera being used.

I already did my shoot for the apartments. But those great tips I will for sure use for the future. It turned out they didn't want any of inside apartments done but instead the office, fitness room, computer room, pool and a building. It was tough because nobody opened the office early for me before the sun was to strong through the windows. So the fitness room had windows on two sides blowing out my shots and mirrors on another side. Their computer room was the size of a bathroom. And every building outside either had trash everywhere or the balconies were full stuff and satellite dishes. So I wasn't to happy with my results. My wifeis brutally honest holding nothing back when I sow her my photos. Don't know how many times I thought I had a great shot and she has brought me back to reality with her critique. Anyways she liked them with little criticism except for some white balance issues that I did over again that she suggested.

You are correct im using a 4/3 sensor on my camera. Ive always cared more about zoom then wide. But my next lens will be a wide angle.

How much wider can you go then the 14mm? 14mm is pretty wide and then you start to get into fisheye type stuff.

You can't believe the crap I've gone through doing this for a living. I travel all over to different hotels and resorts where some of the places are happy to see me and some of them could care less. I've seen nightmare situations where I'm expected to make it look like the most inviting place to visit. Its tough and very time consuming where the final image turn around time is very short. I have filled up a 500 gig hard drive worth of images with my 5D2 which includes still and virtual panorama images. I'm sitting on approx 1000 finished, magazine/advertising quality images that have approx 30 minutes to an hour of editing per image. Here is a brief montage that I put together for my advertising purposes on the web. It can be seen Here

Well with a 4/3 sensor camera its actually 28mm not 14mm. So really the leica lens is a 28-300mm

so in effect it has the 1.5 crop factor like the Nikon non FX cameras.

Im not familiar with the FX cameras but that is correct. Like I said before thats why I like the 4/3 sensor since zoom has been more of what I use in my photography. Olympus has a 9-14mm I looked at today. And has a really good price. Probably will put that one on my wish list for next year since we just bought 2 new I phones. So theirs no way the wife is going to let me get this lens this year.