Thread: 7D + 24-70mm f/2.8

7D + 24-70mm f/2.8

Hi
    I was wondering if anyone had the 7d+ 24-70mm combination. As a general purpose lens for everday shooting.
    this will be my only lens for a while (also i have a 100mm 2.8 macro).
    any feedback on this lens' performance on the 7D and for everyday use will be appreciated.
    thank you!

Re: 7D + 24-70mm f/2.8

I don't have the 24-70mm f/2.8L, but I do use the 24-105mm f/4<span style="color: #ff0000;"]L with my 7D. It's a good walkaround lens, and makes a weather-sealed combination with the 7D (as would the 24-70mm). The only downside to those two lenses is that in some situations (particularly indoors where backing up is not an option), 24mm is not sufficiently wide. So, while I sometimes use the 24-105mm as an outdoor general purpose zoom, indoors (and many times outdoors, too) I use the excellent EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS. IMO, the 17-55mm is the best general purpose zoom for a 1.6x crop body like the 7D. Optically, it delivers L-series image quality, and it has IS which is a big help for static scenes. Downsides are the build quality is not up to L standards, and it's not weather sealed (and it's expensive for a nonL lens!). Also, if you plan to go FF in the nearfuture, getting an EF-S lens might not be the best idea (but the 17-55 holds value well, so unless you're going FF in a year or less, I think it's worth it).

The extra 7mm in the wide end makes a significant difference in the angle of view. 24mm on 1.6x crop is equivalent to 38mm on FF - that's pushing into the normal range, not really wide angle. If you can live without wide angle capability, the 24-70mm is a great choice.

--John

Re: 7D + 24-70mm f/2.8

Greetings, I bought the 7D and had the 24-70 as my only lens for a while. There were no 17-55 available at the time I tried the 28-135 for a couple of days and switched to the 24-70 and was very glad that I did. It is a very good lens.

But if I had my time again I would prefer to have bought the 17-55. I have a few different lenses now and while the 24-70 is a fantastic lens, if I was to sell one it would be that one. I won
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur