Thread: 133x or 266x CF Card for 40D

133x or 266x CF Card for 40D

I am looking to buy a 16GB CF card for the 40D.

Does anyone know if the 40D can write faster than a 133x card will accept? In other words, is there any advantage to paying extra for a 266x card if I'm using a Canon 40D?

Thanks.

-----

UPDATE: I am just now reading that the 133x number refers to read speed and that write speed can vary. Does anyone know the maximum write speed of the 40D?

Re: 133x or 266x CF Card for 40D

The bus speed is constant between the processor and CF card. The variables are instances like shooting at ISO 1600, it is going to take longer to process than than shooting at 100. If the camera is doing any other process it will slow down the write time but that is the processor and not the card, so I would recommend the faster card.

I'm running the Sandisk Extreme III CF cards in my 40D and have not had any problem with lag (when shooting 3f/s). I would definitely choose at least the 266x or faster cards. You may want to consider the Sandisk Extreme's too and if you catch them on sale or during a Sandisk rebate period, they can be had rather inexpensively.

Here's a website that you may want to check out that ran tests on a variety of CF cards with the 40D and recorded how many MB/s could be accomplished. I would also think it depends upon how you intend to shoot with the 40D (shoot just JPEG or JPEG+RAW).

Rob Galbraith

Rick

I don't know if this helps but...I have a Sandisk 8g Extreme III that ran fine in my 5D2, I saw an 8g Lexar UDMA card for $70 so I bought it.

I have notice quite a bit of difference in the write times in the same camera. Not life altering but faster. The strange thing I noticed (or not) was less lag time for an image to pop up on the LCD.

Thanks for the info. That Rob Galbraith sure has a lot of time on his hands to compile such a list. I think I'll just get a cheap $36 16gb 133x card for now and then get a fast 4gb card for when I think I'll really need it.

nerdmonkey

I talked to Canon about memory card write speeds toobtain the maximum frame per second over time for the 1Ds 3. The response was if the card could write faster than 7Mbs then it would not matter how much faster the memory cards speed was.

Bob