Thread: How do you do this: high-key images?

How do you do this: high-key images?

Dear members,

There has been a 'challenge' on dpreview "Redux: High-key Portrait"

How do you take such photos? By lighting arrangements/ post processing or both?

Please guide me

Re: How do you do this: high-key images?

You just get a taller stand and move your key light up about 10 feet and then--oops. Wrong definition. []

To answer your question, I suggest going about 75% in lighting and do the rest in post. If you don

Nik filters has a good filter for high key effects, although you will want to do some of the work with lighting as Dan said.

www.niksoftware.com/.../entry.php (Their example shows using a high-key filter on a pretty dark photo, it would have had a much better result with a photo with more light)

I used three flashes for this one, and overexposed the image quite a bit. I'm not great shakes at high-key, but I was giving it a shot.

Perhaps my photo isn't technically correct, but here it is anyway:

Settings: 50mm f2 ISO-100 1/200s AV mode +1/3exp and a 430 EX2 flash on camera TTl, but I don't know what setting.

The picture is practically untouched. It is slightly cropped, some contrast is added and I removed all the colors.

I made this shot while shooting against the sun. The sun is behind the subject, but you could imagine that this could also be achieved by using a flash of some kind.

Good luck!

Jan

Hi, Jan,

This is an excellent example to show the original poster, how to achieve a high-key effect without using any sophisticated lighting equipment and/or sophisticated techniques. As you said, the photo could be improved technically, but it stands on its own, as it is.

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by Firestarter
    As you said, the photo could be improved technically, but it stands on its own, as it is.

Yeah I'm aware it's no master-piece hehe [:P] But it's without needing to have a big setup. It's a fairly simple shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters

I used three flashes for this one, and overexposed the image quite a bit. I'm not great shakes at high-key, but I was giving it a shot.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Sean, please don't do that. Her hair is too gorgeous to be washed out like that.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.