Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Lens Prices: Anyone else a little concerned?

Re: New Lens Prices: Anyone else a little concerned?

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin

I will always go for the newest lenses if I need to addone into my kit no matter how expensive. If I cannot afford at this moment I'll just wait and work hard to get more money. That's pretty much my way of doing it, since that the updated lens is ALWAYS better than the original more or less. I just cannot stand it phycologically -there is a new lens on the market and I just spent 70% of its value on something old...
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

I could have waited to get a 5D mkII for the same price thatI paid ( I think, or close enough) for my 5D. However, I'd have missed out on a lot of pictures....

After seeing the prices on the new TS-E lenses, yeah, I'm scared!

the 24-70 is still 1379 at the camera store here in calgary

Quote Originally Posted by Keith B

The new 24 1.4L mk2 is $1700. My mk 1 was only $1100.

I am scared about future releases.

Indeed that's a lot of money. However, I'm just thinking that when the 24/1.4L MK1 was released, the price was pretty high too. One thing I know for sure is that when the current 24-70L was released in 2002, the suggested price was a wholly $2,100USD! now it's almost half... So I don't know if this is just how pricing will work for new and old products. Try to compare the suggested retail price for some old lenses when they were new see if they were that expensive or not once upon a time.

Quote Originally Posted by mark

the 24-70 is still 1379 at the camera store here in calgary

The cheapest I can find in Toronto area is $1499 from Aden camera. Plus Alberta's sale tax is way lower... good for you guys!

I am concerned too. It is hard enough for me to explain purchases to my wife. I wonder if this is related to currency changescompared to the Yen. As a countries currency loses value the import prices go up. We saw it here in the US with gas prices. I think we tried to lower the value of our currency so we could try to export something for a change. Kind of backfired though. Not to get political, just an observation, take it with a grain of salt.

Tom

benjamin ... if you ask nicely for henrys to match THE CAMERA STORE price here they will ...

good luck

cheers