Thread: Trying off Camera lighting -- tips, criticism please...

Trying off Camera lighting -- tips, criticism please...

Well I've been reading about "strobists" and thought I'd give it a try. Setup is Speedlights at the front 45's in low ambient light.

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/550x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/14/5153.Gourd_2D00_Strobe.png[/img]

Gourds by doggiedoc@tcah.com, on Flickr

So, I can see a few areas that need improvement (I think), there's probably a lot I don't see but would like to learn.

View on Black.

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Re: Trying off Camera lighting -- tips, criticism please...

For all the details view the full size 5184 x 3456 original image.

.... well apparently flickr will only display 1024 x 683 if you aren't signed in as me. [:@]

I really like this! Your photo is extremely sharp and the lighting is perfect IMO. My only question is, how do you get the EXIF info posted like that!?

Very nice shot!

Denise

I like the f/2.8 DOF, but it seems you had your shutter speed at "1.3sec"?

I opened the large file, but it's not exactly as sharp as it can be (most likely from minute camera shake during the 1.3 sec).

The great thing about using flashes (off or on) is that you can artificially create your own light, so you don't have to worry about using slow shutter speeds like you do with ambient light.

With your 7D (as is mine []) you can crank that up to 1/250sec and never have to worry about camera shakes!

Your exposure will not change as long as your flash is still at the same power setting, and your aperture is still the same. The only difference is that higher shutter speeds will cut out ambient light, so the only light source in the photo is from the flash.

If the "1.3sec" was done intentionally to keep the fill light provided by the ambient light, I would suggest 2 things.

1: Up the ISO (for faster shutter speeds for less camera shake), and lower the power on the flash (to compensate for the higher ISO)

2: My choice, would be to use 1/250sec, f/8 (to increase DOF for overall sharper image), increase your flash power settings by 3-stops, PLUS a reflector behind the pumpkins and to the left to provide the fill light. Could be anything, a white styroroam board will do just fine []

<div>

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725
    My only question is, how do you get the EXIF info posted like that!?

I use a screen-shot from the Meta-data Tab in Aperture. On a Mac if you press CMD+shift+4 you can select any portion of the screen and it saves it to your desktop as a png image. Then I just attach that image in the message above the code for the flickr image.

Quote Originally Posted by TakahiroW4047
    PLUS a reflector behind the pumpkins and to the left to provide the fill light. Could be anything, a white styroroam board will do just fine

Thanks for the tips! I couldn't figure out how to get the fill light without the longer exposures. I'll try that tonight.

Paul
    </div>

No chance to play with settings last night. Hoping to pick up a couple of inexpensive umbrellas and reflectors yesterday....

I like the DOF and the sharpness of this photo.

I

For me, I would prefer a little less exposure. They aren't over exposed by any means, but with the dark background I would like your subjects to be slightly more subdued. I might be wrong as I'm still a newbie, but I think it would be a little easier on the eyes if the lighting were a little softer.

Braden