Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1 Ds Mark IV

Re: 1 Ds Mark IV

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning

Well, first we can set aside the obvious: first Canon would have to start making pro-level APS-C cameras with the full autofocus, sealing, etc. features as well as a 1Ds4 that has at least 10 FPS and 27 MP to match the 1D4's 16 MP when cropped.

I used to think that the reason Canon kept the 1.3X format around is because the larger full-frame mirrors couldn't hit sufficient frame rates (10 FPS) at economical prices. But Nikon disproved this with the D3.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Why would Canon have to make a pro-level APS-C? (And for that matter, the 7D is that camera.)

I suspect that the 1D Mark V will be a full-frame, "low-res" (i.e. moderate pixel density, about half the MP of the 1Ds), high frame-rate camera, and the 1Ds Mark V will be a full-frame, high-res, moderate frame-rate camera. Something along the lines of a 21MP 10FPS 1D and a 38MP 4-5FPS 1Ds. That brings Canon back to two sensor sizes (FF and 1.6), allows them to get commonality in the body manufacturing (the 1Ds has an extra hump not found on the 1D, currently), yet gives them targeted flagship bodies to help them (in their minds) keep/gain their market share.

We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist
    Maybe Canon disproved that much, much earlier - in 2000 with the EOS-1v, which shot full frame (film) at 10 fps, and had a price lower than a 1D body (even after adjusting for inflation).

Aha! Thank you for the correction, very informative.

Quote Originally Posted by peety3
    Why would Canon have to make a pro-level APS-C?

Because of all the photographers that would have bought the APS-H for its pixel density. Let's say you're a wildlife photographer who needs a truly professional body with the best weather sealing, 45-point autofocus, and other 1D-only features. If Canon changed from APS-H to full frame only, then it would have to be 27 MP just to *match* the existing angular resolution of the 1D4. To match the angular resolution of the existing 7D, it would have to be 46 MP. That would be fine, but it will probably be more expensive than a professional 1.6X of just 18 MP.

Quote Originally Posted by peety3
    (And for that matter, the 7D is that camera.)

There are many features that it still lacks in comparison with the 1D4.

I informed my Canon dealer about the rumors concerning the 1DsM4, because he took part in a meeting of Canon in Paris last weekend.

He told me: Nobody wanted to say concrete facts, but there is something going on. I&acute;ve already reserved the first 1DsMark IV to be sold in my dealer&acute; s shop. May be Santa Claus will bring it.

Roland Scheiner

<span style="font-size: x-small;"]Good Afternoon Folks:

<span style="font-size: x-small;"]

<span style="font-size: x-small;"]Below is the latest that Canon Rumors http://www.canonrumors.com/ has on a 1Ds IV This guy seems to have some interesting contacts with people involved with Canon/ or not somehow and a fair number of "rumors" he has been pretty accurate about. Look around long enough and you can find his rating system of what the credibility of the rumors are. Some he comes right out and says he does not think it will happen and others he is pretty close on saying what and when.

<span style="font-size: x-small;"]I go there to get away from John,,,, and just when I thought it was safe I find a "neuroanatomist"
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
    <meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document" />
    <meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 10" />
    <meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 10" />
    <link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\WAYNEA~1.DER\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01 \clip_filelist.xml" />
    <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
    <w:WordDocument>
    <w:View>Normal</w:View>
    <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom>
    <w:Compatibility>
    <w:BreakWrappedTables />
    <w:SnapToGridInCell />
    <w:WrapTextWithPunct />
    <w:UseAsianBreakRules />
    </w:Compatibility>
    <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel>
    </w:WordDocument>
    </xml><![endif]-->
    <style>
    &lt;!--
    /* Font Definitions */
    @font-face
    {font-family:"Bookman Old Style";
    panose-1:2 5 6 4 5 5 5 2 2 4;
    mso-font-charset:0;
    mso-generic-font-family:roman;
    mso-font-pitch:variable;
    mso-font-signature:647 0 0 0 159 0;}
    /* Style Definitions */
    p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
    {mso-style-parent:"";
    margin:0in;
    margin-bottom:.0001pt;
    mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
    font-size:12.0pt;
    font-family:"Bookman Old Style";
    mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";
    mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";}
    p
    {mso-margin-top-alt:auto;
    margin-right:0in;
    mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto;
    margin-left:0in;
    font-size:12.0pt;
    font-family:"Times New Roman";
    mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";}
    @page Section1
    {size:8.5in 11.0in;
    margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in;
    mso-header-margin:.5in;
    mso-footer-margin:.5in;
    mso-paper-source:0;}
    div.Section1
    {page:Section1;}
    --&gt;
    </style>
    <!--[if gte mso 10]>
    <style>
    /* Style Definitions */
    table.MsoNormalTable
    {mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
    mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
    mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
    mso-style-noshow:yes;
    mso-style-parent:"";
    mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
    mso-para-margin:0in;
    mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
    font-size:10.0pt;
    font-family:"Times New Roman";}
    </style>
    <![endif]--><span style="font-size: x-small;"]<span style="font-family: 'Bookman Old Style'; font-weight: normal;"]has popped up over there also. Oh my lord is there no place of rest in the world of Canon???[]

<span style="font-size: x-small;"]<span style="font-family: 'Bookman Old Style'; font-weight: normal;"]Sorry John I just couldn't resist. I hope all is well with you the family, Take Care

<span style="font-size: x-small;"]<span style="font-family: 'Bookman Old Style'; font-weight: normal;"]Godspeed

<span style="font-size: x-small;"]<span style="font-family: 'Bookman Old Style'; font-weight: normal;"]Wayne

<span style="font-size: x-small;"] *UPDATE* 1Ds Mark IV Feature

* October 18, 2010
    * Canon 1Ds Mark 4
    *Follow on our forum

Update
    A contributor has had this to say about the AA filter rumor and that it&rsquo;s unlikely Canon will remove it from the 1Ds Mark IV.

MF camera makers deleted AA filters primarily for reasons of cost, not image quality, as aliasing is very destructive. Yes, they do use software to &ldquo;correct&rdquo; this, but it does a terrible job. It&rsquo;s an insoluble problem, because it&rsquo;s a &ldquo;many to one&rdquo; issue for the software.

Large AA filters are very expensive to manufacture, particularly at MF quantities. A Pentax representative even stated flat out that cost was the sole reason they didn&rsquo;t include one in the 645D.

Canon will delete the AA filter once resolutions get high enough that diffraction is the limiting factor.

Thanks Steve

From NL

The &lsquo;next 1Ds&rsquo; was delayed for some bigger jumps in technology and to hold it&rsquo;s &lsquo;top camera&rsquo; spot for longer. DigicV will allow for handling of binning, better video and &lsquo;software removal&rsquo; of the need for an AA filter at 35+MP. The camera might not ship until later next year.

I asked around to find out if software could correct what the lack of an AA filter could bring about. Most notably; moire. The general consensus was it was possible. A regular contributor pointed out medium format cameras do not have an AA filter and combat moire in software (thanks Kurtis).

For those that don&rsquo;t know, the lack of an AA filter would produce sharper images right at the sensor. However, Canon has a lot of lenses that would need to be upgraded to resolve a sharper 35+ mp sensor.

cr

Hi Daniel and the whole community,

today I ordered the 1new DsMarkIV although I don