Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1 Ds Mark IV

1 Ds Mark IV

Recently Daniel Browning mentioned that til end of October Canon will announce the 1DsMarkIV.

Is that only a rumor or is it reality? Is there already something announced about the price? This camera is the ideal instrument. FF grants the full range of the zoom lenses. A 24-70 on a 1Ds MarkIV and on a second 1DsMarkIV a 70-300. One won`t have to change a lens during shooting travel photography etc. Any other gear is a compromise which most of us have to make with regard to the prices.

But as Martin Luther King once said: I had a dream

Re: 1 Ds Mark IV

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Scheiner
    I had a dream

Right now, the 1DsIV is part of that dream, and that's the only form in which it exists. Canon has not announced anything about an update to the 1DsIII. Daniel was likely referring to previous rumors that the next model in the line would be announced for Photokina in September, but that did not happen. So, like unicorns, dragons, and the 24-70mm f/2.8L IS, the 1DsIV remains an elusive myth.

s that only a rumor or is it reality?

Neither. It's an educated guess.

Is there already something announced about the price?

No.

This camera is the ideal instrument.

Well, for some things, the 1D (APS-H) is better. For others, the 7D is best. But I would agree that the 1Ds is the best all-'rounder.

The 1Ds, 1Ds2, and 1Ds3 all were announced before Photokina (Aug/Sep), so I thought it would be the same this year, but it wasn

There
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

canon rumors had very reliable information that the 1Ds mark IV would be released in February. Of course that was last February.

It will be released when canon releases it...who knows

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning
    Well, for some things, the 1D (APS-H) is better.

I'm not a pro or a sports shooter, but I'm not sure I really see the point of APS-H. If you need pixel density, use APS-C. If not, use full frame. Are there really people who need something between?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Ruyle

I'm not a pro or a sports shooter, but I'm not sure I really see the point of APS-H. If you need pixel density, use APS-C. If not, use full frame. Are there really people who need something between?

Well, first we can set aside the obvious: first Canon would have to start making pro-level APS-C cameras with the full autofocus, sealing, etc. features as well as a 1Ds4 that has at least 10 FPS and 27 MP to match the 1D4's 16 MP when cropped.

After they do that, the only reason to prefer an APS-H would be if you want slightly more oomph than APS-C but don't want to pay the full price of full frame. After you add professional 10 FPS cameras to full frame and APS-C, the distinction between 1.3X and it's siblings is too small to sustain a separate market, IMHO. That said, if Canon wants to do it, it's no skin off my nose.

Personally, I'd rather see Canon make a 2.8X with EF mount for bird and wildlife photographers. That's like stacking a 2X and 1.4X teleconverter together, except that it doesn't add any new aberrations and autofocus still works. The 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II would become the full-frame equivalent of 200-560 f/8, and the 500mm f/4 would be like 1400mm f/11.If I crop my 5D2 down to 2.8X, I only get 2.5 megapixels. But if I had a 2.8X camera instead, it could keep the full 21 MP.

For that matter, I think it would be great if Canon put an EF mount on the G12 digicam. With a 5X crop factor (actually 4.6X), the 200mm f/2 would become the equivalent of a 920mm f/9. It would definitely be a lot better than a double stack of 2X teleconverters. And the Canon superteles and 70-200 zoom are definitely better than anything the superzoom digicams have to offer (except in weight, of course).

<meta content="text/html; charset=utf-8" http-equiv="content-type" />
    Canon does sell an EF-mount adapter for the XL-H1, which has a sensor so small that it's a 7X crop factor. The Canon supertele lenses still turn in a good performance on it, even though the pixels are so much smaller.

<meta content="text/html; charset=utf-8" http-equiv="content-type" />

I used to think that the reason Canon kept the 1.3X format around is because the larger full-frame mirrors couldn't hit sufficient frame rates (10 FPS) at economical prices. But Nikon disproved this with the D3.

But I would agree that the 1Ds is the best all-'rounder.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

For the price it would bloody want to be!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

I used to think that the reason Canon kept the 1.3X format around is because the larger full-frame mirrors couldn't hit sufficient frame rates (10 FPS) at economical prices. But Nikon disproved this with the D3.

Maybe Canon disproved that much, much earlier - in 2000 with the EOS-1v, which shot full frame (film) at 10 fps, and had a price lower than a 1D body (even after adjusting for inflation). Of course, 36 exposures don't last very long at 10 fps (not to mention the fact that CMOS sensors cost just a bit more than film).