Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning

Well, first we can set aside the obvious: first Canon would have to start making pro-level APS-C cameras with the full autofocus, sealing, etc. features as well as a 1Ds4 that has at least 10 FPS and 27 MP to match the 1D4's 16 MP when cropped.

I used to think that the reason Canon kept the 1.3X format around is because the larger full-frame mirrors couldn't hit sufficient frame rates (10 FPS) at economical prices. But Nikon disproved this with the D3.
<div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Why would Canon have to make a pro-level APS-C? (And for that matter, the 7D is that camera.)

I suspect that the 1D Mark V will be a full-frame, "low-res" (i.e. moderate pixel density, about half the MP of the 1Ds), high frame-rate camera, and the 1Ds Mark V will be a full-frame, high-res, moderate frame-rate camera. Something along the lines of a 21MP 10FPS 1D and a 38MP 4-5FPS 1Ds. That brings Canon back to two sensor sizes (FF and 1.6), allows them to get commonality in the body manufacturing (the 1Ds has an extra hump not found on the 1D, currently), yet gives them targeted flagship bodies to help them (in their minds) keep/gain their market share.