Thread: 1.4 extenders

1.4 extenders

Is there much of a difference in IQ in the Kenko or Tamron 1.4x extenders and that of Canon's 1.4x II extender on a 1.6 crop camera? I have been looking at purchasing one of those and read some reviews. They seem to be close according to the reviews, but it seems like the reviews are endorsements for that particular product. Anyone have any suggestions.

Re: 1.4 extenders

Unless you need weather sealing (requires both body and lens to be weather sealed) there is virtually no difference between using Canon's 1.4x TC and third party TC's. I have heard the Canon 1.4x performs better AF wise, but I've also heard there is no difference. Both Kenko and Tamron 1.4x's are smaller and cheaper and work with most if not all lenses (keeping correct mount in mind).

I personally will choose the Canon 1.4x for sure. I have had a 1.4x in my kit and it performs excellent with my 70-200L. But more to the point is that I would prefer the brand to match especially in this case because I do not want to take a risk on capability issues and focusing accuracy and speed. Those seem to be more valuableto me. Plus the Canon 1.4x is not that badly expensive, peace of mind is worth something.

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin

I personally will choose the Canon 1.4x for sure. I have had a 1.4x in my kit and it performs excellent with my 70-200L. But more to the point is that I would prefer the brand to match especially in this case because I do not want to take a risk on capability issues and focusing accuracy and speed. Those seem to be more valuableto me. Plus the Canon 1.4x is not that badly expensive, peace of mind is worth something.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Did you mean compatibility issues? If so, there aren't any as long as you buy a TC with an EF mount. If anything you will have compatibility issues with the Canon 1.4x since it will not work directly with all lenses--even some Canon lenses. FWIW I have just researched this very topic recently and speaking to wildlife photographers I was advised to save money and go with the Kenko pro or the Tamron 1.4x's since they perform virtually identical to the Canon 1.4x.

But, are they also white?

It appears on Amazon, the Tamron brand has an SP version that is white.

Thank you all for the posts. That helps a ton.

Yes the Tamron is white...but I fail to see what that has to do with the TC's performance--unless of course you joke.

Yes, sorry, joke, I do that sometimes....

I could make some absurd assertion about how the color affects the lens optical qualities. It'll be totally baseless, but if it entertains you, I'll reach. I do come from an audio background. The stories you hearabout whatsupposedly makes a difference in sound really introduces you to the finest forms of imagination...[8-|]