Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Before and after post processing

Before and after post processing

I switched from film to digital photography a couple of years ago, and am now feeling that I know my digital camera (almost) as good as my old film-based camera. However, there is one aspect of digital photography where I need some inspiration, and that is post processing. I hope some of you are willing to show me some images before and after post processing to give me (and others?) an idea of what can be done and how. It doesn't have to be huge changes, all kind of PP from minor sharpening and colour adjustment to HDR, all entries are welcome. I just want to know what you experts do to improve your pictures, and how the picture looked before you started.

I will start off with a macro shot I did a few months ago. The original was cropped, then sharpened, and I increased colour saturation and contrast (I'm sorry, I don't remember how much). For this image, I used DPP, but I did another try with Aperture 2, and got very similar result. If it was an improvement is a matter of taste, I guess. I just wanted a nice colourful backround image on my computer.

I hope you will join me on this.

Lars

Before

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/550x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/13/0167.20100823_2D00_01.JPG[/img]

After

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/550x0/__key/CommunityServer-Components-UserFiles/00-00-00-39-80/Herfindal_2D00_06.jpg[/img]

Re: Before and after post processing

Interesting thread, Lars.

Here's a shot of some firefighters that I got in early September. I would consider this an extreme example of the processing I regularily do to my pictures. Below is the original (out-of-camera) shot and the same shot after adjustments were made in Lightroom/Photoshop.

1. Original right out of the camera:

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/13/6835.IMG_5F00_1622.jpg[/img]

2. After post-processing:

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Components-UserFiles/00-00-00-26-94/GardinerCrash_2D00_1.jpg[/img]

I am more than ready for a post-processing 101 crash course! I am going to love this thread!!

I will try and find one that I did that I didn

I must admit that I am a bit disappointed by the lack of respons on this thread. I chose to believe that it was because it was too rapidly pushed out from the first page, rather than that people are scared of showing their pictures before post-processing (perhaps a longer list of post on the first page will make them live longer?).

I try to revive it, and hope some other are willing to give examples on their post-processing abilities.

ok, this is mine, thanks for the thread.

before

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/13/7506.DPP_5F00_00046.JPG[/img]

after

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/550x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/13/4857.IMG_5F00_1319.jpg[/img]

thanks for viewing!

Cool example, JJ Photo. I would have never guessed your final image would have resulted from a crop of the original. Looks good to me! [Y]

I would post some great examples, but my fairly new data hard drive died on me a couple days ago, and I lost all of my photos. Maybe I can do something with a photo that

Here's my extreme example. Took this with a powershot 2 years ago at the beach house in Hawaii before I really started getting into photography. I believe it was taken as a JPEG image as I didn't know anything about RAW back then. Here is my photoshop take on the pic. I became a big fan of Christian Riese Lassen on the trip thanks to my sister. That is the over-the-top saturated effect I was going for.

Before

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/550x550/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/13/6378.before.jpg[/img]

and After

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/550x550/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/13/5875.after.jpg[/img]

Fun thread! I must have missed it the first go-round. This is Cat Creek Falls, in Kananaskis Alberta. I don't usually put this much post-processing into my shots, but I liked what it did in this case.

Before

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/13/6215._5F00_MG_5F00_0421_2D00_3.jpg[/img]

After

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/13/7522._5F00_MG_5F00_0421_2D00_4.jpg[/img]

Sorry Lars, I had never seen this thread before and I'm loving it!!! Great thread! []

Sometimes I like to do a lot in post-processing, but mostly I keep it simple and "natural". This one needed some:

I'll post another type of picture as well []