Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Post your Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Lens shots

Post your Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Lens shots

<p style="text-align: center;"]
    <p style="text-align: center;"]For being Canon's cheapest lens, I LOVE IT! Post your 50mm f/1.8 II Lens shots
    <p style="text-align: center;"][img]/image_presentation1/resized-image.ashx/__size/500x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/14/4454._5F00_MG_5F00_0282_2D00_Edit.jpg[/img]
    <p style="text-align: center;"]1/320 sec at f/1.8
    ISO 100
    Canon 50D
    <p style="text-align: center;"][img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/550x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/14/5241._5F00_MG_5F00_0637.jpg[/img]
    <p style="text-align: center;"]1/640 sec at f/2.8
    ISO 100
    Canon 50D

<p style="text-align: center;"][img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/550x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/14/8561._5F00_MG_5F00_0671.jpg[/img]
    <p style="text-align: center;"]1/800 sec at f/2.8
    ISO 100
    Canon 50D

Re: Post your Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Lens shots

Love them!

Wonderful shots!
    Cheers!
    --
    AnGelo Chiu (MrGreenBug in Flickr), Blog: http://mrgreenbug.blogspot.com

you simply make me feel embarrassed when I use my $1000+ lens, well kind of[:$]

nice shots!

thanks! you know I find myself using that 50mm over my 24-70 f/2.8 USM, and my 70-200mm f/4.0 IS USM all the time for portraits. And I

Quote Originally Posted by Tallywho
    you know I find myself using that 50mm over my 24-70 f/2.8 USM, and my 70-200mm f/4.0 IS USM all the time for portraits

me too! i use 35mm1.4 and 135 mm 2.0 instead though but could not get that good pictures like yours. how do you set up your lighting and do you do a lot of PP in photoshop?

I think it also helps that you really capture great expressions. Fantastic portraits. I

All the lighting is natural, those shots were shot around 3:00 pm outside sunny as a whistle. the first photo was in the shade, and the other to in full sunlight. I don't use a flash due to the lack of one (working on getting one of those :-) exposure comp./AEB - "0" , picture style - "Landscape" White balance - "sunny" Metering mode - "evaluative metering" and of course I only ever shoot on manual. I don't use photoshop for post processing, do to the lack of work flow that already exists in light room. The only time I use photoshop for post photo processing, is if I have to literally erase people. As far as post processing goes, I usually bump up my blacks slider value +1, or 2 then correct the exposure as needed. Depending on the image I might bump up the overall contrast slider +1-3. I try to stay away from it though cause it ruins detail. And the seconded image I just desaturated the image too almost complete black and white, and then just raised the overall temperature of the image +5 towards warm/yellow Other than that I don't mess with a whole lot. Oh and I also have a UV filter on all of my lenses, made my colors pop out a lot more. Hope that helps! oh and I almost for got. You all are going to shoot me, but I pretty much only ever shoot in j-peg mode. Tried RAW for a month or so, and got super tired of the extra time converting over to j-peg. And not to mention taking up 3 times as much space. I also tend to like the colors that j-peg produces over raw. I know that sounds silly, but I feel like i get more of a contrasty/darker color saturation with j-peg. It more or less reminds me of the film shots I took back in the day on my dads old Minolta XD11. And the difference that i got from shooting raw, converting, post processing, then output to j-peg. I didn't notice enough difference to care.

thanks! your 120% right about expressions. Trying to get portraits like that with adults = impossible lol. I work as a youth developer, and I also take photos for our organization. So I do get a lot of opportunities to take shots. But all of my kids are so stinking photogenic, its ridiculous. I have a website that all of this is eventually going on. working my butt off trying to get it ready. On another note, I would love to get the 1.4! my only one problem I guess I have with the $90 50 1.8 is the slow focus. I LOVE the USM

thanks Thomas, for your inputs.

for portraits, it makes sense that shooting in jpeg because you can set everything perfect before shooting and take test shots for adjustment, and you can retake the pictures if needed most of the time.

I hate the PP, but I have to shoot in raw when I take bird pictures, just name one of the reason, I need to get as much data I can because I crop a lot.