Thread: photo printers........

photo printers........

Hi all,

Looking for a new printer,just thought i would get some input form anyone here. I currently have a hp photosmart 8450 about 4-5 years old looking at mabe going with canon pixma pro 9500 mark 2. Im looking for something thats going to make hq prints larger like 8x10 or larger any ideas thanks........ROD

Re: photo printers........

Quote Originally Posted by banman1

Hi all,

Looking for a new printer,just thought i would get some input form anyone here. I currently have a hp photosmart 8450 about 4-5 years old looking at mabe going with canon pixma pro 9500 mark 2. Im looking for something thats going to make hq prints larger like 8x10 or larger any ideas thanks........ROD
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Rob, I have a Canon Pixma Pro 9500 (The original) and I love it---Color is accurate, printing is crystal clear---. But.......Beware,it takes up a pretty good chunk of table space, the printer ink is expensive and the13x19 paper isn't cheap. If you were going to go this route, I would suggest using your older printer for daily business,smaller prints and test runs for larger prints. But, once you figure out how to save ink and paperThe 9500 is hard to beat. There is also a large format Epson that is competitive with the 9500 so don't forget to look at that one as well.I do know that the Epson will take roll paper which would be very nice for large panoramas. TheCanon only acceptssingle sheet paper up to 13x19.

Hope this helps, perhaps some of theother forum members can provide more info.

Good luck,

Bob
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by banman1

I have both printers the pixma 9500 mark 2 and the 9000. Honestly I haven't even opened the 9000 box up (I got it when I bought my second 5D Mark II with the rebate)

But you should research both. Each of these printers are very good but they are better individually at certain things I had the pixma 9500 for a while before I figured out that gloss and semi gloss are not its specialty. The 9500 excels with the art and museum papers. I use mainly the "Fine Art Paper Photo Rag". It can really give a picture a 3D effect that is just awesome.

Its my understanding that the 9000 is better at the glossy prints. I need to hook mine up and verify this, but....I am out of room and work space.

Cost wise, I have found the 9500 to be a little cheaper or about the same price for large prints as the lab. The difference is convenience and better quality. For small prints like 4x6 it will cost to much.

Either one, have a spare ink in case a color runs out during printing.

I got the Pro 9000 Mk II with the Canon rebate last year when I bought my 50D. I think it is outstanding, though as mentioned it does take up a large chunk of space. I definitely don

thanks guys for the insight,im not just looking at the canon but its one of my top picks any other printers u guys have hade or r useing that u like.......rod

I have the EPSON R2880 printer. I am very please with it and they always have a rebate on it. It is large in size, but easy to use and great black and white as well as color!

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk
    Its my understanding that the 9000 is better at the glossy prints. I need to hook mine up and verify this, but....I am out of room and work space.

This thread persuaded me in to hooking up the Pixma 9000 Mark II to see how it does on glossy. I printed off some glossy 13 x 19's that I had printed on glossy earlier on the Pixma Pro 9500 Mark II.

Using Photo Paper Pro Platinum...all I can say is wow, the results were not only a little better than the 9500 they were awesome.

Some more hear say....I have also heard that the Pixma Pro printers perform best with the Canon paper. Since I have not used other papers I can not say if this is true or not.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

It seems that after doing a bit of reading reviews that most everthing im reading is saying that the canon 9000 mk2 is the better choice...lol ...just as u said nitehawk...ill have to do a little more reading but i guess its going to b the 9000 mk2....once again thanks all for your insight rod