Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Varsity Football: 7D- 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II

Re: Varsity Football: 7D- 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II

Again, they are all really good. My favorites this time are 3 & 5 ...mostly because of how focused all the players look.

Thanks Brant!

My Favorite is #5 as well, (even though the ball has not entered the frame yet) for the same reason that you stated.., both of their eyes are so focused on the ball, especially the cornerback in the green and white.

Rich

Great shots. I have got to get this lens. Looks like its going to take a wile to save the $$s

Mark
    Mark

Great shots! Here are a few of my recent not-so-varsity football pics I took a few weeks ago of my nephews. Taken with Canon 1D MkII, manual at f/2.8 with 70-200 non-IS. Unfortunately this was at night with pretty bad light, so the ISO was pretty high on most pics. The first three were taken as JPG instead of RAW so I didn't do much processing to them.

ISO 1600, 155mm, 1/500

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/550x400/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/14/1586.football5.JPG[/img]

ISO 1600, 110mm, 1/500

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/550x400/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/14/7455.football4.JPG[/img]

ISO 1000, 200mm, 1/250

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/550x400/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/14/5481.football3.JPG[/img]

ISO 600, 100mm, 1/320

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/550x400/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/14/0081.football2.JPG[/img]

ISO 500, 200mm, 1/320

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/550x400/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/14/6366.football1.JPG[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by clemmb

Great shots. I have got to get this lens. Looks like its going to take a wile to save the $s

Mark

Thanks Mark!

It really is a great lens and certainly worth saving for!

As you are aware, it takes beautiful portraits too.

Rich

Thanks Calulot!

It looks like you had some tough shooting conditions there, with poor lighting and dark uniforms, but I think you still nailed #4.

You know the noise doesn't look too bad, but the jpegs look a bit underexposed. I was wondering why you switched to jpeg's as the night got darker, because as you mentioned you could do more with the Raw files.

Rich

Thanks Rich. I

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Lane
    What's up? Missed all of you!

Missed you too, but I'm doing fine [Y]

I really like the first 2 shots, nice action going one there!The 4th picture looks a bit soft though, 7D's AF problem I guess?[:P][]

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Paalman

Missed you too, but I'm doing fine [img]/emoticons/emotion-21.gif[/img]

I really like the first 2 shots, nice action going on there! The 4th picture looks a bit soft though, 7D's AF problem I guess?[img]/emoticons/emotion-4.gif[/img][img]/emoticons/emotion-5.gif[/img]

Thanks Bud!

That's right you caught me.., #4 is soft, I'll blame that one on user error. (LOL) I was actually shooting the quarterback at the line of scrimage and when I saw it was a pass play, I swung the camera around to focus on the receiver..., # 4 was soft and #5 locked in. I actually think it's motion blur from me swinging the camera around towards the receiver, because the bushes look like they have a slight panning effect, and it wasn't that windy out.

Well.., at least I nailed the touchdown catch in #5. []

Rich

[]

That's right you caught me.., #4 is soft, I'll blame that one on user error. (LOL)

Yeah you do that. I do the same with my missed shots [A] Another safe way is to blame it on your CF card which couldn't catch up or something [:P]

I actually think it's motion blur from me swinging the camera around towards the receiver, because the bushes look like they have a slight panning effect, and it wasn't that windy out.

Hmm...could be, cause I don't know what shutterspeed you used. To me it seemed like some front-focussing if I look at the ground, but it's hard to tell. At number 5 the focus definitely locked in. I had similar results when trying the 7D. Wait untill the focus-predict locks in and does it's job. But for this case we'll need to CSI some more I think.

Well.., at least I nailed the touchdown catch in #5. [img]/emoticons/emotion-5.gif[/img]

Yep and I like it [Y]