Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Feeling Shifty

Re: Feeling Shifty

I

It is a trick of the eye, for sure. When you blur both the foreground and background, you essentially take away the normal frame of reference that your brain uses to identify the correct scale. At least, that's what I'm assuming, but I'd be interested to hear other takes on it.

I haven't done many of these fake miniatures, but here is one I took of downtownCalgary. I think the 24 mm TSE is not the best tilt-shift lensto use for this, because of the wide angle. I had to crop this a fair bit to work.A 45 mm tilt-shift may be better. You can also create this effect in Photoshop with a normal lens... there are instructions on the web if you want to try.

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/5722.IMG_5F00_0076_2D00_2.jpg[/img]

Have fun with your new lens John [Y]

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Huyer

It is a trick of the eye, for sure. When you blur both the foreground and background, you essentially take away the normal frame of reference that your brain uses to identify the correct scale. At least, that's what I'm assuming, but I'd be interested to hear other takes on it.

I don't know it, but I'm guessing it has do do with the angle of the focus-plane. Normal lenses would have a focus-plane (The part that is sharp in the image) at right angles to the direction you're looking at. In other words, if you look at a car in the middle of your view, the back and foreground would be out of focus so to speak. This part can be adjusted by the tilt-shift lenses. I think that's why it looks unnatural and so it doesn't seem right in your mind... Anyway it's a weird, but very nice effect []

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Paalman
    Have fun with your new lens John [img]/emoticons/emotion-21.gif[/img]

I am! Here's one from an early morning outing last week...

[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/dr_brain/5190642361/lightbox/][/url]
    EOS 5D Mark II, TS-E 24mm f/3.5<span style="color: #ff0000;"]L II, 1/2 s, f/8, ISO 100, +12 shift

When we first moved to Boston several years ago, we spent a few weeks living in corporate temporary housing in the building just to the left of the tower (the one with the verdigris-copper cornice).

This lens is really cool, John! How hard is it to learn how to use? Could a complete amateur ... Hmmm, maybe say someone like myself learn to use it properly??

Denise

It's not too hard - a complete amateur like myself is getting by with it. []

Shift is pretty straightforward. Tilt is more challenging to master (especially focusing with tilt, but there are lots of tutorials online). Exposure is now pretty simple, thanks to Jonathan's comment that Live View yields a correct exposure (the metering sensor is affected by tilt and shift, but not the image sensor, and that's used for the exposure calculation in Live View).

It will take a lot more practice before I come anywhere even close to mastering the lens, though.

Speaking of tilt/sift, for those that have not seen it, this is purely amazing.

A total of 35, 000 imges were taken, edited and transposed to video. WOW!

Edit:
    <h3 class="post-title entry-title"]"The Sandpit" - A short film by Aero Director, Sam O'Hare</h3>
    <p class="post-title entry-title"]Original Music: composed by Human, co-written by Rosi Golan and Alex Wong.

[View:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk9EBOOAYiU]

Canon 450D Gripped, Canon 24-105 f/4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM II, Sigma 10-20 EX f/4-5.6, Canon S95

“There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.” -Ansel Adams

Wow that was definitely a ton of work to make that film. It demonstrates well how the miniature effect works best when you are looking down on a subject... it's the best way to fool our brains I guess.

I was visiting family in Philadelphia last week and we stopped in at Valley Forge. These shots of the memorial arch show the difference a tilt/shift lens can make with architecture. Not hard to figure out which one is with the shift, and which is without.....

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/550x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/4530._5F00_M3_5F00_3747_2D00_3.jpg[/img] [img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/550x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/3581._5F00_M3_5F00_3748_2D00_3.jpg[/img]

Elmo,

Thanks for finding and sharing that video. That was epic work by the folks that made it.
    5D mark III, 50D, 17-40 f4L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4L ​IS, 28 f1.8, 50 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 100 f2.8 Macro

My first thought when seeing the Sandpit, was "Neat. I've seen videos like a couple times before, and they're always neat".

My second thought was entirely off topic. It came when it got to the helicopter pad part. All I could see was "This is the place where I steal helicopters in Grand Theft Auto 4." I guess Rockstar got some parts of "Liberty City" pretty much perfect.

And a third thought edited in after watching the entire thing. The night parts are awesome. That is all.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L