Thread: Anyone have experience with the 90mb/s cf cards

Anyone have experience with the 90mb/s cf cards

I really want one of these:

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/550x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/9/1462.cool.jpg[/img]

But, I just can't seem to justify the price at the moment. Does anyone use these 90mb/s cards especially with the7D or the 1DIV. If so, was there a real performance difference between these and the slower UDMA 4 cards?

Thanks,

Bob

Bob

Re: Anyone have experience with the 90mb/s cf cards

Hi Bob,

I have one i use in my 50d and i do notice a differance in speed over the 300x card i hade before...I shot a couple of air shows this summer and the first 2 were with my 300x card i then got the 600x and noticed a good diff in the speed espically when i would blast off like 20-30 shots in a row...... Rod

Hey Bob, i just noticed that the card u have pictured is $ 520 thats a little steep the one i have is only $ 100 and works great...... Rod

Quote Originally Posted by banman1

Hey Bob, i just noticed that the card u have pictured is $ 520 thats a little steep the one i hav[url="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=ProductDetail&A=showMultipleImages& Q=&sku=646296&is=REG][img]/images/images345x345/646296.jpg[/img][/url]e is only $ 100 and works great...... Rod
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Actually, I was more interested in the speedof card rather thanthe brand or capacity, so no problems. Glad to hear that the one you have is doing its job.

Bob

Bob

Hi Bob,

I have that card that you have pictured at the top; the Extreme Pro 64GB 90MB/sec. It is very fast and I use it on the 7D. I also have the SanDisk Extreme 32GB 60MB/sec and a Hoodman 8GB 300x. The 90MB/sec is noticeably faster than the 60MB/sec card, it really does make a difference. I hardly ever get a busy signal, unless I really crank on the shutter and don't stop, but in controlled bursts during Sports pictures it works great. It makes such a difference, that I hardly ever use the 60MB/sec card unless I'm shooting with 2 cameras.

The first one that I bought cracked, while inserting it into the 7D. The plastic surrounding the tiny holes cracked, sort of chipped actually. I sent it back to B&amp;H and they sent me a new one, even though I had for 5 weeks. After 30days you usually have to send it back to the Company. I told them, "some Extreme Pro Card," I've only used it 10 times and it cracked, but they took a look at my account and said no problem. I'm actually more careful now while inserting it into the slot.

One nice thing about the 64GB card is that I hardly ever have to change a card while I'm shooting. The bad thing however, is if this card ever crashed you loose a ton of work. Although this card is very expensive, it's like having a mini-hardrive with you.

The Hoodman cards are made much better than the SanDisk Cards and they use stronger plastic and a thicker metal band around the outside of the card. If I try to twist the cards slightly between my fingers, the Hoodman Cards seem a lot tougher. The Hoodman cards go up to 100MB/sec, but the largest card they currently make is 32GB 100MB/sec and it's essentially the same price as the SanDisk 64GB 90MB/sec card.

Rich

Depends on what your shooting as well, jpg or raw? jpg it doesnt really matter all that much, a 300x card will catch up pretty quick, while the raw will take less than a sec. The next question is, are you doing a huge amounts of burst fire, or single frame? You will notice in speed writing in the speed of the card as well, its not one of those subtle things, its a major difference as well. Myself i use 8gb 19mb/sec cards, no idea on what XXXx speed they are, but myself i dont use the burst mode on my 50d.

Hi Bob

I use this card and it does make a difference on my 7D for action shots and also downloads to PC, compare to the standard Sandisk extreme.

But price is very bloody steep for the small differences it makes. LOL

Wally

Wally Bouw Flickr Vimeo

I'm only shooting in raw on a 7D with 18MP and I mainly shoot sports, and I have a lead finger.

Bob, this card is so much faster, that if you have to decide between cost then I would recommend the Extreme Pro 32GB 90MB/sec for $295 instead of the 64GB for $520.

As Wally stated, it also downloads the images to the computer faster, if you have a fast UDMA reader; I have the Hoodman Card Reader USB 2.0

Rich

@Rich, Wally, Steve and Banman: For my needs, sounds like they are worth the price. I
    Bob

Just an update: I went with the advice of some of you and purchased a Delkin Devices 16GB CF PRO COMBAT CARD 625X (91MB/s). And yes, there is quite a bit of difference between that and the 30 MB/S cards. With my 7d, shooting raw, 8 FPS, I would fill up the buffer and it only took about 15 seconds and I was ready to go again. with the 30 MB/s card it would sometimes take 45seconds to 1 minute before I was ready to shoot again. When shooting Bifs or football I normally only pop off about 6-10 frames at a time, so, with my shooting style I normally would not have to wait at all.. Thanks for the tips and advice, I am thrilled with this card----so far. One more thing----this card comes with a very nice rigid/padded case that holds two cards and the card has a lifetime warranty. Cost for the delkin130.49, for the sandisk 169.95 and for the hoodman 299.95. We
    Bob