Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first Attempt at HDR....

My first Attempt at HDR....

Should have done an outdoor shot but it got dark on me before I finished this one....

Suggestions?

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/1024x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/6862.MyFirstHDR_5F00_small.jpg[/img]

Re: My first Attempt at HDR....

I cannot figure out what your focus point is, and it is not sharp anywhere in the pic. You did ask for cc

Ummm maybe try scatter cushions instead of backpacks. Or I
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

@MacMan - you are correct. The composition is rather unplanned. I sort of just pointed the camera in that direction. I suppose I was looking more at the lighting than the composition. My bad. [:$]

@Steve - the mechanics of HDR are actually very simple. Of course I was focusing on the mechanics and not the artistry of the composition. In my defense that is the view from my office. []

Thanks for the encouragement!

Paul

Since it is the HDR post-processing and not the composition that we are critiquing here, I think you did an awesome job for your first attempt, Paul!

I

The composition lacking, notwithstanding, if you were to make it a high contrast B&W HDR(which you can do), I think you would have a successful HDR. Then maybe add some post vignetting, and I don

Hi Paul, I think it is a great start, I can see the different contrast levels and that exaggerated variation is what appeals to me. I have ordered some of the software to do the HDR processing and can
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Hi! Paul, I'm glad you are not giving up. I would prefer something like what MacMan has commended, it will help us know where to improve our skill.

of course compliment and encouragement is needed too[]

like you mentioned, I do like the lighting of this picture. I can't comment any more since I havn't tried any HDR yet.

keep shooting!

@macman? Hello, He said attempt at HDR correct? what exactly have you contributed other than what appears to be slander? In regards to --->"I cannot figure out what your focus point is, and it is not sharp anywhere in the pic. You did ask for cc"

Alan

doggiedoc,

A couple of questions about this shot.

How many shots did you take? For a typical HDR, 3 shots are good. Depending on the scene, you may need more.

Did you shoot manual exposure, or use aperture priority? If 3 shots, were they +1, 0, -1 eV or different from that? I have found that 3 shots, with -2, 0, +2 is more than sufficient on a large variety of high contrast scenes. Sometimes, the +2 is too much, and I will do another set where they are -4, -2, 0. This shows up on brightly lit scenes with dark backgrounds.

This scene looks like there is minimal contrast in it. Usually, but not always, it's best to have wider swings in contrast, for an HDR to show its shine.

If you take only 3 shots, look at your histogram, and make sure that there is good capture of the shadows (on the one end) and the brightness (on the other). Again, the histogram will show this the best. The three shots should have overlap in these areas (black, middle, white). If not, then take more shots.

In the above picture, you've chosen a realistic look. This is, of course, what a lot of HDR is used for (such as realtors who are showing clients the inside of a room, etc.).

The histogram is your friend with these HDRs. Some final touch-ups in a photo editor are usually necessary, and they help improve your final HDR.

Keep experimenting. It's a good start. [Y]