Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Birds

Re: Birds

Hi Richard:

For a home base use I have The Audubon Society Encyclopedia of North American Birds By John Terres. My only knock is that it covers all of NA & I'm pretty much just in the north east. Field use is between the Stokes Field Guide To Birds, Eastern Region. Great pictures & background information & the Peterson Field Guide. I got lucky inherited the complete listings of Peterson's Field Guides.

Hi Bill:

The "southern tip of the Quabbin Reservoir, near Belchertown" way down there in the deep south of Massachusetts, AAAA. Just a bit to far for this northerner to travel at this time of the year, or anytime pretty much for that matter. I have found Bill that as I age I have less interest in "local" travel. However when my wife wants to travel home to the Philippines and nearby countries of Taiwan, China, Japan, Indonesia & she has friends that live in Australia I can't get packed fast enough. Oh well just a duffers prerogative I guess.

Godspeed

Wayne

Thanks Wayne!

I

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x800/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/5153.Hawk-i.jpg[/img][img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x800/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/2860.hawk-2.jpg[/img]

Hi Fastglass:

First one of the hovering raptor is really nice. An action photo with the subject is relatively sharp and the background blurred so not to be a distraction. The second photo is a much more difficult shot because of the moving subject, so you get credit for trying and that is how we get better by trying, but not the quality of the first. Background is done properly IMHO.

Godspeed

Wayne

Thank you Wayne! Trying all kinds of shots. We very rarely have good light here when birds etc. are active. I have mostly been shooting sports for the past while. Here are some young Swallows from last July on their first day flying.(they could only manage about 30/40 yards flight before resting)[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x800/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/8030.Swallows-3.jpg[/img][img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x800/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/6811.Swallows-2.jpg[/img]

fastglass - Those last two shots are awesome! Wonderful captures!!

Thank you. The finale![img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x800/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/5810.Swallows-1-_2800_Custom_2900_.jpg[/img]

Hi Fastglass,

Just curious if the photograph of the hovering raptor is taken with a mirror lens?

The background appears to have small circles in the blur.

Paul.

Hi Paul! That was taken last month with a Canon 7D+ 70-200 mm 2.8 IS II @190mm,f 2.8. It was cropped to 87% in zoombrowser.

Ruby Throated Hummingbird

Camera Maker: Canon
    Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D
    Lens: EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
    Image Date: 2010-05-18
    Focal Length: 400mm
    Focus Distance: 2.85m
    Aperture: f/8.0
    Exposure Time: 0.0040 s (1/250)
    ISO equiv: 400
    Exposure Bias: none