Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 5D II Errors

Re: 5D II Errors

Thanks neuroanatomist.

Im wanting to upgrade due to my backup camera dieing as well as being limited at times by my 40D, not with the image quality (at low iso

Thanks a lot to all of you. Trowski - yeh, it is common for people to complain when they have a problem. As for L-fever......can

5D III rumours have dried up, so probably not soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Bookhammer
    Another reaon I havent went with the 5D II is if it is geared towards studio work why is the flash sync only 1/200 when my 40D is 1/250 and the 1D series is 1/300? Now for some that might not seem like an issue by I use on/off camera speedlights alot.

Well, the 1D series goes to 1/300 s, but the 1Ds series (FF like the 5DII) is a little lower, at 1/250 s like your 40D and my 7D. Since the 1Ds III is slower than the 1D IV, I'd guess that results from the speed at which the shutter curtain can cover the distance (bigger sensor = more time needed). Since the non-1-series bodies don't get the absolute fastest shutter curtains, the crop bodies are one increment slower than the 1D and the 5DII is one increment slower than the 1Ds. But that's just my guess on the reasons...

From a practical standpoint, does hi-speed sync just not provide sufficient flash power for you?

To be honest I really havent messed around with the hi-speed sync. The couple of times that I did the results were not consistant enough for myself to rely on it. Maybe I should go and re-explore hi-speed sync.

Thanks

Joel

Another Q regarding extended warranty: Did any of you consider purchasing an (retailer) extended warranty when you bought your 5D II (or any other for that matter?) Just trying to see if its worth the few hundred. Or is the one yr Canon warranty sufficient....flip-flopping....

Quote Originally Posted by DLS
    Did any of you consider purchasing an (retailer) extended warranty when you bought your 5D II (or any other for that matter?) Just trying to see if its worth the few hundred. Or is the one yr Canon warranty sufficient....flip-flopping....

I don't go for those, no. They wouldn't offer them if they weren't making money. For every $1000 they take in, maybe they'll have to pay out $100. If you buy these warranties on all your electronics, you'll lose. If you buy it on high-priced items only, you do have the potentially to be saved a costly repair. The exception to this rule was early XBox 360s. They just plain died, often.

If you buy enough electronics with these warranties, and one item does actually break, you're covered, great. Except for the average electronic item, you'll have paid more for all the warranties put together than you'll claim on fixes/replacements.

But the 5DmkII is more expensive, and potentially more expensive to fix. Lets says the average 5D repair is $500, and the warranty is $200. Most people will never make a claim, so the insurance company will make money. If *you* make a claim, you're going to save $300. If you don't make a claim, you're out $200. But, do you get the warranty on your L lenses too? If you have 3 lenses with $100 warranties, you'll have already pre-paid $500 towards repairs. In this case you'll need to make multiple claims to be ahead. What are the odds of you needing multiple repairs between year 1 and year 4 (or whatever the extended warranty period is)? The more you're considering insuring, the less worth it it will become.

If you'd rather not take the risk, then you have another option too. The retailer's insurance covers what? How much of that is already covered by your home insurance?If it doesn't cover much, you can consider getting the extra coverage added to your home insurance. Theft or fire is generally already covered by your home insurance. You can have them insured against whatever else you want (whatever you're willing to pay for), such as accidental damage. Dropped your camera and lens into the lake? Your entire backpack off a cliff? That's potentially covered... but will likely increase your future premiums.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Great post, David; my sentiments exactly. If you do get an extended warranty, check the reviews of people who have actually utilized it. The one sold by N.E.W. seems to be reputable (and covers accidental damage). Whatever you do, you should also get insurance for theft -- a rider on your homeowners insurance should be pretty cheap (at least until after you use it once).

I have all my camera gear on my homeowner
    - Trowski

Thanks guys a lot for your guidance. You