Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 5D II Errors

5D II Errors

Hi all,

Am in the market for a 5D II and have been reading up on various error messages that "seem" common. Particularly "Err30" and "Err20". Got me a bit worried. How concerned should I be about purchasing the 5D II given these problems? Were the problems related to firmware editions mostly? Comments, guidance? Thanks a bunch.

Damian

Re: 5D II Errors

I don

I love my 5DII. The image quality is outstanding, which I'm sure you've read here and in other forums. I've never had any problems with it. Those problems may "seem" common, since it iscommon for people to complain when they do have a problem and say nothing when everything is going well. What's sad is people who don't even own the camera then become convinced that most or all of them have some problem. Seems like this happens with just about any popular product, from cameras to phones.

That being said, it does seem like some of the first 5DIIs Canon made had some issues (which probably weren't common or widespread), but they seem to have been straightened out. Besides, if you buy one and it does have something wrong with it, any reputable dealer will immediately exchange it.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning
    What you *really* need to worry about is infectious disease -- the 5D2 is known to cause L fever. [img]/emoticons/emotion-2.gif[/img]

This would probably be your biggest concern with the 5DII. I was starting to come down L fever when I got the 7D, and I caught a bad case after the 5DII... and as far as I know there isn't a cure.

- Aaron
    - Trowski

The only cure to L fever is to succumb to it.

L-fever seems most closely analogous to cancer - once you own every lens with a red ring, you have what oncologists call 'stable disease'. Release of a new L lens results in an immediate relapse.

Back on topic, personally I had never even heard of this 'common problem' before reading this thread, and certainly have not experienced it since getting my 5DII.

Yes, and treating it costs about as much :P But on the plus side, treatment is really, REALLY FUN.

I have had my first 5D Mark II since March of 09. My second early this year. I have never experinced those errors.

The only problem I have had is while doing a long session in live view, the mirror lock broke. It was still in warranty and canon fixed it no problem. When I was sending it in I was told (not by canon but the sales rep from the store I bought the camera) alot of people were having problems with the 5D Mark II around 50K - 60K actuations. I have not experinced this at all and would buy the 5D Mark II again.

On the same topic of the 5D II, I have also been considering purchasing either it or the 1D IV. My question isnt regarding errors or L disease (which I have already contracted and relapsed...acouple of times). But to any 5D II owners, do you ever feel limited by the autofocus speed/accuracy? I mainly shoot weddings/seniors, but enjoy all sorts of photography. And with my nephew just starting to run (he has seemed to skip the walking stage) I want to be sure I dont miss the shot due to AF.

Thanks

Joel

Not limited by the AF but limited by the shutter rate.

Occasionaly shooting somthing very intense limited by the annoying "busy" while the processor tries to catch up.

<div>

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Bookhammer

But to any 5D II owners, do you ever feel limited by the autofocus speed/accuracy? ...with my nephew just starting to run (he has seemed to skip the walking stage) I want to be sure I dont miss the shot due to AF.

Accuracy is fine, speed of One Shot AF is excellent. AI Servo is less effective, IMO. Still and slow subjects are fine with the 5DII, in my experience. Seems like Canon intends it as a studio/landscape camera, not an action camera (else they would have updated the AF from the original 5D!). Moving subjects were a concern of mine as well, and I have found that my 5DII does sometimes have trouble keeping up with my daughter (nearly 3) running towards me in AI Servo mode - shots that my 7D will nail (and nail even with the thin DoF of an 85L wide open). I wouldn't expect a high keeper rate with birds in flight using the 5DII. For cross-scene motion, the 5DII does ok, with the caveat that the AF point spread across the field is not great (the 7D's AF sensor provides a bit more coverage).
    </div>

The lower frame rate is another obvious difference. Less obvious but still noticeable are the longer shutter lag and VF blackout on the 5DII, compared to the 7D or even xxD bodies. The 5DII is faster at those than a Rebel, if that's any consolation. As I said, the 5DII is not the best camera for action, IMO - but it can work if you know and work around the limitations.