Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Canon EOS 60D Review

Re: Canon EOS 60D Review

What I want to know is....

Will the swivel LCD give you a nice hand hold to grab if you accidently drop your camera. Also will it easily detach and reattach when its on the tripod and someone accidently bumps in to it and snaps it off. I am not sure this feature is such a good idea yet.

I liked the fact that the review pointed out several times that the memory cards might be a consideration with an upgrade. If I were looking at upgrading from a 50D I might miss that point.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk
    Also will it easily detach and reattach when its on the tripod and someone accidently bumps in to it and snaps it off.

The screen doesn't stick out that far - if someone accidentally got close enough to bump it on a tripod-mounted camera, wouldn't they more likely already have tripped over a tripod leg and sent the whole rig crashing to the ground?

I liked the fact that the review pointed out several times that the memory cards might be a consideration with an upgrade. If I were looking at upgrading from a 50D I might miss that point.

Definitely a good point, especially for xxD users who shoot RAW and have a reasonable investment in CF cards. But on the flip side (no articulating LCD reference intended), it lowers the bar as an upgrade path from an SD card-using Rebel, which is certainly consistent with the 60D being the xxxD upgrade path, with pre-60D xxD users being pushed to the 7D.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist
    Makes sense - let's just hope that they don't decide us non-pros don't need AFMA on the 5DIII... [img]/emoticons/emotion-7.gif[/img]

Agh! Don't *think* that way.

it lowers the bar as an upgrade path from an SD card-using Rebel, which is certainly consistent with the 60D being the xxxD upgrade path, with pre-60D xxD users being pushed to the 7D

Along those lines, I came away from reading Bryan's review with the impression that the sensors from rebel--->60D----7D all would produce about the same. Again I say impression not that they would. That said when I owned my 50D only, there was no 7D. The jump up to the 5D Mark II was a huge improvement on IQ and everything else, so the question wasn't will it perform a little better, the question was "Is it worth the extra money for the jump up". I wonder how Canon's marketing is going to turn out on this one, more people upgrading or less.

Along those lines, I came away from reading Bryan's review with the impression that the sensors from rebel--->60D----7D all would produce about the same. Again I say impression not that they would. ... The jump up to the 5D Mark II was a huge improvement on IQ ....

Sensor size is the big differentiator. The 7D, 60D, and Rebel T2i/550D all use the same 18 MP APS-C sensor. So is it strange that a T2i would deliver sensor IQ that is similar to 7D, a camera that costs nearly 3 times as much? All that extra money just for 'features' and not IQ? Re-read Bryan's review of the 5DII - you'll note that he mentions that the IQ is about the same as - and maybe even very slightly better than - the 1DsIII, which costs nearly 3 times as much as the 5DII. Yes, all that extra money for 'features'.

Re-read Bryan's review of the 5DII - you'll note that he mentions that the IQ is about the same as - and maybe even very slightly better than - the 1DsIII, which costs nearly 3 times as much as the 5DII.

This is why I have 2 x 5D Mark II and not a 1Ds III with a cheaper backup. I would think the 5D Mark II would hurt the 1Ds Mark III sales, I know it at least cost Canon 1 sell.

This is one reason I would think that we would not see a 5D Mark III until a year or so after the 1Ds Mark IV is released. I wouldn't think it would make good marketing sense to release it earlier. (Provided Canon follows the suite with a 5D comparable to the current 1Ds without the nifty features)