Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning
"All refurbished items sold by Adorama come in directly to us from the manufacturer's factory where they have been refurbished, and are sold by Adorama with a 90-day warranty."

As of about a year ago, Adorama itself extends the warranty on Canon Refurbished items to 1 year, covering the exact same defects as a new item Canon warranty. They'll cover return shipping from wherever it was originally shipped.

I've heard returned units can end up as refurbished, since they can't be sold as new. If they're returned for non-defect reasons, perhaps they don't always go through the whole return to Canon QA step. I have no idea, I'm just trying to find a way a refurbished 1D can be available. Perhaps the 1D in question was returned due to financial pressures, spouse pressures, being overwhelmed by the options, or the sudden realization they just needed a Rebel XS... who knows. Adorama deemed it perfectly fine, and was willing to offer their warranty on it themselves, knowing Canon wouldn't do such a thing with a 1-series. Rather than see the camera destroyed, they offer someone the chance to own a 1D on the "cheap".