Thread: Canon 70-200 f2.8 L IS USM, production year 2001

Canon 70-200 f2.8 L IS USM, production year 2001

Hi forum,

I am new to this site actually this forum, as I read reviews etc. all the time...

my first question would be, if in your opinion a production year 2001 Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM lens would be a good choise to purchase...

lens has its use marks here and there on the housing, front lens is ok and the rest functions good, just its so old. what do you think?

thank you for your replies!

best regards!

Re: Canon 70-200 f2.8 L IS USM, production year 2001

Hi, and welcome!

Canon's L series lenses are built to withstand rigorous use, and the lens you mention is weather-sealed, so that helps as well. Marks on the barrel that are cosmetic only do accumulate with time (even faster on the lens hood, usually starting day one!) As long as you're able to test it with your camera and are happy with the results, I'd say go for it if the price is right. At one point I bought a used 200mm f/2.8L II with a UL date code (1997), and it was in perfect shape; I only sold it after getting the 70-200mm II.

Things to test would be that autofocus works, that IS on vs. off shows the effect of stabilization (use a relatively slow shutter speed, e.g. 1/50 s at 200mm), and that the images are sharp (although that lens isn't perfectly sharp). Try to look at some shots with the lens on your computer, not just the camera's LCD.

thank you very much neuroanatomist for your quick and very helpful answer!!

Hi and welcome to the forum mrezen.

hi,

well it has been some time since I was here, but in the mean time I have actually bought this "oldy" lens and I must say it really is a "goldy"!!

altough it has been produced in december 2001 and it has some usage marks (mainly around tripod-mount, but not many for so many years), it still works and delivers great images, just as it should be! I only do not know if just a bit "loose" zoom-ring operation (compared to focus-ring) is normal or it has just seen a lot of use; but as said, at the end the image quality sits perfect!

thank you again for help and good advice!

Glad it worked out for you. Enjoy the lens!